Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Block calls with no Caller ID

I want to block (or send to voicemail) incoming calls with no Caller ID. Apple lets you block specific numbers, or allow specific numbers (from your contact list), but there's no way to let all the calls except ones without Caller ID. Am I missing something?

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 8:15 PM

Yep, but that only lets calls in who are in your contact list. I want all calls with valid caller ids to come through, whether they’re in my contact list or not. I just want to block calls from callers who refuse to identify themselves (I.e. who have blocked me from seeing their caller id).

5 replies

Oct 20, 2022 7:02 PM in response to TomClement

You are not missing anything. There is no direct way to block callers without a Caller ID. This feature is actually provided by most major carriers (in the US). For example, in the US, T-Mobile, Verizon etc, allow the subscriber to turn this feature on whereby an anonymous caller is either blocked or sent directly to voicemail. Check with your carrier to see whether this feature is available to you.

————————

The other option that you may wish to use is the Silence Unknown Callers feature. When this feature is turned ON, then all callers that are not in your contact list are sent to voicemail. The drawback here is that you may miss some calls that may actually wish to answer. If interested in this feature, then open Settings ➡️ Phone ➡️ Silence Unknown Callers: Set this to ON.

Axel F.

Oct 20, 2022 7:34 PM in response to Axel Foley

Thanks Alex, thanks for the reference to my T-Mobile carrier. I looked into it and found the following text in their help:

Anonymous callers

The FCC mandates that mobile carriers allow callers the ability to block their caller ID information and place anonymous calls. T-Mobile is obligated to honor the privacy of the caller in these circumstances. T-Mobile can't block anonymous calls or override the privacy choice of the caller, but you may choose not to accept them. To make an anonymous call yourself, dial *67 before dialing the number you are calling.

For more information about privacy and security, refer to our Privacy Center.

From the description, it would appear that per these regulations, the carrier can't block anonymous calls. That would explain why Apple can't support this rather obvious option.

Block calls with no Caller ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.