Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why will I need back up on iCloud when I can do it on my computer

Why would I need to back up to iCloud when I could back it up on my computer

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 10:10 PM

Are you asking about backing up your iPhone or your Mac? There is no iCloud backup for a Mac, only for mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch).

The iPhone backup to iCloud has some advantages. It is done automatically everyday, whenever you are connected to Wi_fi and even, if you are not at home. The iCloud backup is automatically encrypted, so your health data will be included. The Cloud backups are usually small, because data, that are already stored in iCloud are not included. So they are perfect, if you already are keeping your detain iCloud.

The biggest advantage - with an iCloud backup you are having an offsite backup. If your home and all equipment inside should get damaged, you can recover your data from the iCloud backup of the iPhone.

Only, the iCloud backup is a rolling backup, older backups will be purged, so you do not get a long backup history.

Therefore, it would help to make occasionally backups on your computer as well and keep an archive of older backups, so you can revert to an older state, if need be. and to have a local backup as well, just in case you should find yourself without internet access occasionally.

Because the iCloud backup does not include any data, that are already stored in iCloud, for example your iCloud Photos Library, you have to backup your iCloud data separately by downloading them to the computer: Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2022 10:10 PM in response to Ciccillo

Are you asking about backing up your iPhone or your Mac? There is no iCloud backup for a Mac, only for mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch).

The iPhone backup to iCloud has some advantages. It is done automatically everyday, whenever you are connected to Wi_fi and even, if you are not at home. The iCloud backup is automatically encrypted, so your health data will be included. The Cloud backups are usually small, because data, that are already stored in iCloud are not included. So they are perfect, if you already are keeping your detain iCloud.

The biggest advantage - with an iCloud backup you are having an offsite backup. If your home and all equipment inside should get damaged, you can recover your data from the iCloud backup of the iPhone.

Only, the iCloud backup is a rolling backup, older backups will be purged, so you do not get a long backup history.

Therefore, it would help to make occasionally backups on your computer as well and keep an archive of older backups, so you can revert to an older state, if need be. and to have a local backup as well, just in case you should find yourself without internet access occasionally.

Because the iCloud backup does not include any data, that are already stored in iCloud, for example your iCloud Photos Library, you have to backup your iCloud data separately by downloading them to the computer: Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

Why will I need back up on iCloud when I can do it on my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.