Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maxium capacity for battery is 88% with only 188 cycle count, is this normal ?

I am using Macbook air M1, macOS version is 12.6 (21G115). I am experiencing less battery life in recent days and I observer maximum capacity of my battery is 88% with only 188 cycle count. I tried to maintain charge as proper I can but not sure why the maximum capacity and batter life is getting down so fast. Any idea from anyone ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 21, 2022 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2022 3:09 AM

It's not abnormal, and is no indication that your battery's condition will drop precipitously.

The maximum charge capacity of lithium-polymer batteries does not decrease in a linear fashion. It may even increase from time to time, although the long term trend is down.

Read Check the condition of your Mac notebook's battery - Apple Support.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2022 3:09 AM in response to galib_bin_aziz

It's not abnormal, and is no indication that your battery's condition will drop precipitously.

The maximum charge capacity of lithium-polymer batteries does not decrease in a linear fashion. It may even increase from time to time, although the long term trend is down.

Read Check the condition of your Mac notebook's battery - Apple Support.

Oct 30, 2022 9:36 AM in response to galib_bin_aziz

galib_bin_aziz wrote:
Current state of my m1's battery is "maximum capacity 87%" and "cycle count 192". That perhaps says maximum capacity will reach to 80% where cycle count will remain way lesser than maximum (i.e, 1,000).

Your assumption is based on the flawed premise that battery capacity can be expressed as mathematical function of either cycles or time. It cannot.

As I wrote,

John Galt wrote:

Maximum battery capacity decreases with the passage of time. Since battery capacity does not decrease as a linear function it cannot be extrapolated. Since that trend can temporarily reverse, its capacity cannot be expressed as any mathematical function. This negates any attempt at extrapolation.

In this context, should I trigger battery replacement when capacity reaches 80% or perhaps when cycle count reaches 1000 ?

Proposing future actions based upon a fundamentally flawed premise is not logical. Replace the battery when it needs to be replaced, or when its performance no longer suits your requirements. Your Mac will inform you when it needs to be replaced, and only you can decide when its performance no longer suits your requirements.

Oct 30, 2022 9:08 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks for your reply. In apple support page, I found below statement.

"Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original charge capacity at its maximum cycle count. For best performance, replace your battery when you reach its maximum cycle count."

Where maximum cycle count for macbook air m1 shows 1000.

Current state of my m1's battery is "maximum capacity 87%" and "cycle count 192". That perhaps says maximum capacity will reach to 80% where cycle count will remain way lesser than maximum (i.e, 1,000). In this context, should I trigger battery replacement when capacity reaches 80% or perhaps when cycle count reaches 1000 ?

For your information, at the moment I am already getting way lesser battery life (7 hours approx.) compared to its early condition.

Your response will be appreciated.

Thanks

Galib

Maxium capacity for battery is 88% with only 188 cycle count, is this normal ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.