Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage counter including iMessages too old to see?

Over the last 5-6 years with Apple I have never kept my iMessages clean and typically have 400-600 unread iMessages. I went through and clicked each one and still it shows 120 unread.

What I’ve done so far…

* Used unread filter in iMessage and cleaned those up (which took me from 580 to 120).

* Asked Siri to read old iMessages - didn’t help

What I suspect is the issue?

iMessages that are older than what shows up in my phone. I have a new iPhone 14 Pro Max and restored from backup, iMessages have always been set to save forever but it looks like it stops in August 2020 for some reason. Is there any way to get to iMessages from an older date?

added a few screens to show what I’m seeing.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 7:44 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 24, 2022 9:11 AM in response to STLTravis

Hi STLTravis,

We can definitely understanding needing the badge notification to accurate reflect your unread messages. Since noticing this, has the Messages app been closed out and your iPhone restarted? These steps can help resolve many unexpected issue that we may face with our devices.

Check out how to close out the app here: Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

To restart your iPhone:

1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power off slider appears.

2. Drag the slider and wait about 30 seconds.

3. Press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears to power it back on. Once back on, test to see if this continues.

Check out: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

You should also confirm that your device is running the latest version of iOS 16. Currently, it is iOS 16.0.3. Check out this article: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Have a good one!

iMessage counter including iMessages too old to see?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.