Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Preferences in Mojave is beach balling - taking forever

to load PrintersScanners and then when its loads, takes forever to see the 2 printers that were there [I restarted my iMac and they disappeared from PrintersScanners] and now it takes forever to find the drivers. Before I rebooted everything was fine. I have an EtreCheckPro report to share ==

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 3:24 PM

Start with this if IntelMac...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Uninstall CleanMyMac per their directions , then run etrecheck again to see what chaff it left...

On CMM…

iMac running slow, several apps unrespons… - Apple Community

MBP won't wake from sleep Sierra 10.12.6.… - Apple Community

Boot iMac from external SSD, what happens… - Apple Community

Unable to make any changes to contacts on… - Apple Community

If still a problem we need to figure out the iCloud problem, (bird process)..

"bird" process is taking over - Apple Community

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2022 3:24 PM in response to Victoria Herring

Start with this if IntelMac...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Uninstall CleanMyMac per their directions , then run etrecheck again to see what chaff it left...

On CMM…

iMac running slow, several apps unrespons… - Apple Community

MBP won't wake from sleep Sierra 10.12.6.… - Apple Community

Boot iMac from external SSD, what happens… - Apple Community

Unable to make any changes to contacts on… - Apple Community

If still a problem we need to figure out the iCloud problem, (bird process)..

"bird" process is taking over - Apple Community

Oct 24, 2022 7:30 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you = = Reporting back. I went in and deleted all the CleanmyMac stuff. Then, I restarted and tried to go into Safe Boot = waited easily 10-15 min. but it never did start up = the white line just goes toward the end but never goes to log in. Finally had to stop and then restarted and tried to go to SysPrefs and it beach balled again.....so I did a force quit of that and did some other things and went back to try again and POOF! SysPref loaded AND all my Printer driver things were in the L window! I suppose that even tho I didn't get to a full SafeBoot it did clear out some thing that was causing problems. All the printers/sscanners are there just fine. Thanks much == Where in the Etrecheck report is the 'chaff' in case I need to find it later, down the road??

Oct 24, 2022 8:57 AM in response to Victoria Herring

Great news my friend! :)

For "chaff" search the etrecheck report for MacPaw & CleanmyMac.

I have a strong suspicion that you had pretty severe HDD Corruption, & Safe Boot got some of it fixed, next restart or 2 fixed some more on it's own... might pay to wait out another full Safe Boot or run Disk Utility's Disk First Aid from Restore Mode.

System Preferences in Mojave is beach balling - taking forever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.