Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Re-direct your Screenshot location? Screenshot Not Appearing on Desktop Fix.

One day, I powered up my Macbook Pro that is running on Monterey 12.6, and I noticed that the Command + Shift + 3 and the Command + Shift + 4 methods of taking screenshots were not appearing on my desktop. So, I spent a good portion of my day researching and trying every option to solve this issue until I found the fix!

Personally, I had no other issues than this screenshot issue, which sporadically popped up. While I couldn't think of anything I previously did to cause such an issue, it caused me to panic and end up with a headache until I resolved the issue.

At the end of the day, I laughed at myself because I gave myself a major headache trying to figure out the issue and fix it. From restarting my machine and booting up in safe mode to reinstalling MacOS Monterey, nothing worked except for this simple fix.

Here is the fix and why it was the only method that allowed us to make alterations to our screenshot preferences.

1) Take a screenshot with Command + Shift + 5.

The Command + Shift + 5 screenshot is the only screenshot method that gives the user a screenshot setting preference table.

2) After conducting a Command + Shift + 5 screenshot, look at the bottom of your screen (not the top menu bar dropdown tabs), and look for the "options" dropdown tab.

3) Once you click on the "options" tab, you will see a window with options pop up. Select the designation where you want your screenshot to appear and you are all set. I chose "desktop" and my issue was resolved. Below is an image of what the Command + Shift + 5 screenshot preference table looks like. For some odd reason, my screenshot location setting was set to "Quicktime Player." I don't recall making this change myself; however, as I reflect on this issue and how my screenshot location setting was set on Quicktime Player, I remember using the Quicktime Player "Screen Recorder" the day before this issue came about. Hence, I assume using Quicktime Player's "Screen Recorder" must have tweaked my screenshot application settings. Otherwise, I am clueless about how this issue came about in the first place.

Regardless, I truly hope this helps you solve your problem of your screenshot not showing up on your desktop!

Best regards,

Mohsen Salehi

About.Me/MohsenSalehi

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 5:10 PM

leroydouglas

Thank you for letting me know!

Yeah, I figured that another application had caused the redirection of my screenshots but didn't know which one or where they were being directed to. The Shift + Command + 5 was the only method I found to give me the option of redirecting my screenshot location. At the end of the day, I am happy I found the solution to my screenshot location issue, regardless of which application caused it.

When I browed the internet for solutions, all I came across where posts from people mostly speaking about the ways of conducting screenshots rather than solutions on how to resolve the issue. As a result of a lack of information available, I thought I would create a "question" in the community just in case they are others who end up in the same predicament.

By the way, I wasn't aware that there is four methods for taking a screenshot:

1. Shift + Command + 3
  2. Shift + Command + 4
  3. Shift + Command + 5
  4. Preview app --> File --> Take Screenshot

Again, thank you for chiming in and letting me know about the possible causes.

I hope your family and you have a great weekend!

Best regards,

Mohsen

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2022 5:10 PM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas

Thank you for letting me know!

Yeah, I figured that another application had caused the redirection of my screenshots but didn't know which one or where they were being directed to. The Shift + Command + 5 was the only method I found to give me the option of redirecting my screenshot location. At the end of the day, I am happy I found the solution to my screenshot location issue, regardless of which application caused it.

When I browed the internet for solutions, all I came across where posts from people mostly speaking about the ways of conducting screenshots rather than solutions on how to resolve the issue. As a result of a lack of information available, I thought I would create a "question" in the community just in case they are others who end up in the same predicament.

By the way, I wasn't aware that there is four methods for taking a screenshot:

1. Shift + Command + 3
  2. Shift + Command + 4
  3. Shift + Command + 5
  4. Preview app --> File --> Take Screenshot

Again, thank you for chiming in and letting me know about the possible causes.

I hope your family and you have a great weekend!

Best regards,

Mohsen

Oct 22, 2022 8:54 PM in response to Mohsen_Salehi

Mohsen_Salehi wrote:

One day, I powered up my Macbook Pro that is running on Monterey 12.6, and I noticed that the Command + Shift + 3 and the Command + Shift + 4 methods of taking screenshots were not appearing on my desktop. So, I spent a good portion of my day researching and trying every option to solve this issue until I found the fix!

Personally, I had no other issues than this screenshot issue, which sporadically popped up. While I couldn't think of anything I previously did to cause such an issue, it caused me to panic and end up with a headache until I resolved the issue.

At the end of the day, I laughed at myself because I gave myself a major headache trying to figure out the issue and fix it. From restarting my machine and booting up in safe mode to reinstalling MacOS Monterey, nothing worked except for this simple fix.

Here is the fix and why it was the only method that allowed us to make alterations to our screenshot preferences.

1) Take a screenshot with Command + Shift + 5.

The Command + Shift + 5 screenshot is the only screenshot method that gives the user a screenshot setting preference table.

2) After conducting a Command + Shift + 5 screenshot, look at the bottom of your screen (not the top menu bar dropdown tabs), and look for the "options" dropdown tab.

3) Once you click on the "options" tab, you will see a window with options pop up. Select the designation where you want your screenshot to appear and you are all set. I chose "desktop" and my issue was resolved. Below is an image of what the Command + Shift + 5 screenshot preference table looks like. For some odd reason, my screenshot location setting was set to "Quicktime Player." I don't recall making this change myself; however, as I reflect on this issue and how my screenshot location setting was set on Quicktime Player, I remember using the Quicktime Player "Screen Recorder" the day before this issue came about. Hence, I assume using Quicktime Player's "Screen Recorder" must have tweaked my screenshot application settings. Otherwise, I am clueless about how this issue came about in the first place.

Regardless, I truly hope this helps you solve your problem of your screenshot not showing up on your desktop!

Best regards,

Mohsen Salehi
About.Me/MohsenSalehi

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/64552f3e-f9a2-44ee-bde8-405511010cd3

Icloud Desktop & Documents can redirect screen shots

Third party apps for example have preferences settings to usurp screen shots for example:

Dropbox

OneDrive

iDrive

Google drive

etc

ref:

Shift Command 5

Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac - Apple Support

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

How to Restore Your Desktop and Documents After Disabling ...

https://www.howtogeek.com/273629/how-to-restore-your-desktop-and-documents-after-disabling-icloud-sync-in-macos-sierra/

How to find your Documents and Desktop folder contents after disabling ...

https://www.macworld.com/article/3396119/how-to-find-your-documents-and-desktop-folder-contents-after-disabling-icloud-sync.html

Finder>Go>Go to Folder>copy & paste:

~/iCloud Drive (Archive)

iCLoud Drive (Archive) - here you should find all your files

Oct 23, 2022 5:18 PM in response to Mohsen_Salehi

Mohsen_Salehi wrote:

Yeah, I figured that another application had caused the redirection of my screenshots but didn't know which one or where they were being directed to....

?

So what was the culprit then...(?)

You missed one in your itemized list above:

Shift Command 6 —will capture the touchbar, more helpful when trouble shooting issues

How to Re-direct your Screenshot location? Screenshot Not Appearing on Desktop Fix.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.