Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have an Iphone and a Ipad and cloud backup. If I delete all the messages on my ipad to free up space, will this also delete them in my icloud. I do not want to delete them , just from my ipad

Can I delete messages on my ipad only, to free up space, and not effect messages in the icloud

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 8:44 AM

If you only wish to delete messages from your iPad - and not from other devices or iCloud…

From your iPad settings:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Messages - set to OFF

Messages will continue to be delivered to your iPad, but with Messages in iCloud disabled, messages can be deleted locally on the iPad without the deletion being replicated to iCloud and other devices.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2022 8:44 AM in response to jacalynAR2

If you only wish to delete messages from your iPad - and not from other devices or iCloud…

From your iPad settings:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Messages - set to OFF

Messages will continue to be delivered to your iPad, but with Messages in iCloud disabled, messages can be deleted locally on the iPad without the deletion being replicated to iCloud and other devices.

Oct 23, 2022 8:44 AM in response to jacalynAR2

It appears that you are using iCloud for Messages on your iPhone and on your iPad. This means that if you delete messages on your iPhone or on your iPad, then the messages will be deleted from all devices that are logged in to iCloud with the same Apple ID. The answer to your question is a YES. The messages will be deleted from iCloud and from your iPhone.

To prevent that from happening, do the following:

On your iPad, open Settings ➡️ Apple ID (Your Name at Top) ➡️ ICloud ➡️ Messages: Set this switch to OFF. This will prevent the iPad from Synching with iCloud. Once that is completed, then you can delete the messages from your iPad and it will not affect your iPhone.

Axel F.

i have an Iphone and a Ipad and cloud backup. If I delete all the messages on my ipad to free up space, will this also delete them in my icloud. I do not want to delete them , just from my ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.