Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.6 - LG UltraFine 4K Display Dropping From 60Hz To 30Hz After Sleep

I have a Mac mini (2018) connected to an LG 23.7" UltraFine 4K Monitor. It was all working perfectly on Catalina and Big Sur, until I installed Monterey.

Basically, if I restart my Mac, everything is fine. However, when I put it to sleep and wake it up again, the Refresh Rate of the display drops from 60Hz down to 30Hz. ☹️ Originally I thought it was a problem with my mouse, but no, it's definitely a software problem to do with the refresh rate of the display.

Has anyone else experience this? How can I fix it? If I go into System Preferences > Displays there's no setting for changing the Refresh Rate, and the LG 23.7" UltraFine 4K Monitor (which I bought from Apple, because they recommended it) has zero buttons or controls.

60Hz Before Sleep...

30Hz After Sleep...

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 9:22 AM

OK, so I finally solved the problem. 😅✅

It wasn't the cable (I'm still using the same one). It was actually the port on my LG 23.7" UltraFine 4K Monitor.

The LG 23.7" UltraFine 4K has two Thunderbolt 3 ports. All I did was move the Thunderbolt 3 cable from one port to the other. And somehow that fixed it.

So, if you're experiencing the same problem, trying plugging the cable into different ports. I don't know why it makes a difference, but somehow it does. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2022 9:22 AM in response to Reuben Feffer

OK, so I finally solved the problem. 😅✅

It wasn't the cable (I'm still using the same one). It was actually the port on my LG 23.7" UltraFine 4K Monitor.

The LG 23.7" UltraFine 4K has two Thunderbolt 3 ports. All I did was move the Thunderbolt 3 cable from one port to the other. And somehow that fixed it.

So, if you're experiencing the same problem, trying plugging the cable into different ports. I don't know why it makes a difference, but somehow it does. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Oct 24, 2022 1:43 PM in response to a brody

Thank you for replying. 😊

I've just downloaded the LG Screen Manager app, but surprisingly it has no settings for the monitor (other than Factory Reset). Also, if I select Monitor Update and click on Update it tells me that "the software is currently up to date".

I'm using the official LG cable that came with the monitor. Why would the cable not have any issues with Catalina and Big Sur but then suddenly have one with Monterey? I'll try disconnecting it and plugging it into a different Thunderbolt 3 port to see if that makes a difference.

Oct 24, 2022 1:53 PM in response to Reuben Feffer

I turned off my Mac mini, unplugged the Thunderbolt cable and plugged it into a different Thunderbolt 3 port on my Mac mini (which has four Thunderbolt 3 ports), and restarted my Mac mini.

Initially it was fine (running at 60Hz again) but when I put it to sleep for about 1 minute and woke it up again, the refresh rate had dropped back down to 30Hz. ☹️

And when I go into System Preferences > Displays, there's no option for Refresh Rate so it's not like I can change it manually. The only way I can get it back to 60Hz is to restart my Mac mini.

Monterey 12.6 - LG UltraFine 4K Display Dropping From 60Hz To 30Hz After Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.