Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Breaking News: Preferences Are Now Settings

With the advent of Ventura System Preferences and now called System Settings. In fact all preferences for Apple apps are renamed settings. This is to make Mac and iPhone more similar in their interfaces.

It was rather confusing for me at the beginning but I found that searching for the item, like screenshot, startup disk, date & time, etc., in the text search box in the upper left had corner of the Settings window was by far the quickest way to get where I wanted.

Ventura Pre-Ventura

After a while and numerous searches I began to learn where items were located in the new setup.

Those who are really familiar with iPhone settings will find it easier to navigate right from the beginning.

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 2:12 PM

Well I for one think it is a slap in the face of all of the loyal Mac users (I have been one since 2009) to tell us that in order to make it easier for iPhone (IOS) users they are going to make the Mac, that I have gotten used to over the years, look more like an IOS device!!

Mac community we need to let Apple know that we liked things just the way they were. We all had to become accustomed ourselves to the apple universe when we converted from Microsoft. One of the big reasons I converted was because Microsoft dictated to us many of the features and didn't want to hear any complaints. Is this where apple is headed? Sure seems that way to me.

I don't know if it's still worth it to pay the extra money for an Apple computer if the environment is going to be identical to MS. I will have to give it some serious thought though. It would be one thing if the designers offered us a way to customize these settings and allow new users to use the new stuff if they want. If I wanted my expensive MacBook Air/iMac to be just like an iPhone I wouldn't have purchased a Mac. Somehow I don't think that many users of iPhones REALLY want or use a Mac and if they do they don't want the 2 devices to look and act the same. Just one mans opinion

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 2:12 PM in response to Old Toad

Well I for one think it is a slap in the face of all of the loyal Mac users (I have been one since 2009) to tell us that in order to make it easier for iPhone (IOS) users they are going to make the Mac, that I have gotten used to over the years, look more like an IOS device!!

Mac community we need to let Apple know that we liked things just the way they were. We all had to become accustomed ourselves to the apple universe when we converted from Microsoft. One of the big reasons I converted was because Microsoft dictated to us many of the features and didn't want to hear any complaints. Is this where apple is headed? Sure seems that way to me.

I don't know if it's still worth it to pay the extra money for an Apple computer if the environment is going to be identical to MS. I will have to give it some serious thought though. It would be one thing if the designers offered us a way to customize these settings and allow new users to use the new stuff if they want. If I wanted my expensive MacBook Air/iMac to be just like an iPhone I wouldn't have purchased a Mac. Somehow I don't think that many users of iPhones REALLY want or use a Mac and if they do they don't want the 2 devices to look and act the same. Just one mans opinion

Oct 25, 2022 6:08 PM in response to ddravis99

ddravis99 wrote:

2009, eh? So a couple of years after Apple introduced the iPhone?

Maybe Apple reasoned that people liked the "Settings" design much more than the classic macOS System Preferences layout. So they are giving all customers a new set of UI layouts that have proven to be 10 times more popular with users.

Oct 25, 2022 10:28 PM in response to Old Toad

Only, it is very difficult to search for items using the search field, if we do not know what they are called in the new system version. It is much easier to explore the Settings, if all branches of the search tree are visible and we have not to track down hidden items.

Some essential System Preferences are gone. I am missing the the pane, where we could format the date and time for short, medium, long formats. Now I can no longer force the Photos.app to display the timezone with the capture date (essential in Photos to fix wrong time zones, when importing photos), and historical dates can no longer be entered or displayed in Photos or the Calendar with the era, for example BC.

Breaking News: Preferences Are Now Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.