Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Up Next - iTunes Purchased Content Defaulting To Playback On Other Services

Purchased content (movies and TV shows) through iTunes and Apple TV App are not showing up in “up next” and instead show up from other third party services such as Crave, Prime, etc. This is extremely frustrating considering some of the content from Apple is of superior transfer such as Curb Your Enthusiasm.

If I go in to my Library and play an episode, the “up next” section shows the movie or tv show in whatever 3rd party streaming app that has it available with no option to show the Apple TV/iTunes version. This happens for any content purchased that happens to be available on a streaming service.

Yes, I have tried clearing my play history from the Apple TV and have had no luck… this has been an ongoing issue for YEARS.

I’m running Apple TV 4K (2021 2nd Gen) and have updated to TVOS 16.1. This has occurred on previous generations of the Apple TV as well.

I saw another thread discussing this exact issue with NO SOLUTION from Apple but I was unable to comment on it. I have attached a screenshot showing what this looks like for reference.

Apple TV 4K, 16

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 5:13 AM

Click-and-hold the tile with the show that links to the wrong content provider. You should see a contextual menu with Details as one of its options; choose that. On the Details page for the show, scroll down to How to Watch. If multiple content providers are available for that show, then select the wanted content provider. For iTunes Store purchases, that would be “tv”. That should correct your preference.

If the issue persist, then I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 5:13 AM in response to user807

Click-and-hold the tile with the show that links to the wrong content provider. You should see a contextual menu with Details as one of its options; choose that. On the Details page for the show, scroll down to How to Watch. If multiple content providers are available for that show, then select the wanted content provider. For iTunes Store purchases, that would be “tv”. That should correct your preference.

If the issue persist, then I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Apple TV Up Next - iTunes Purchased Content Defaulting To Playback On Other Services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.