Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect to "half" of server??

This is very weird. I used to be able to use CMD-K to "go to server" and then browse whatever Macs were connected on my local net. Easy-peasy, I could move files from one to the other. Lately, when I try, I can connect to the server (iMac-2, say) from my Macbook Pro. I get the list of volumes available. I click the one I want (the iMac itself) and up comes the list of available folders: Applications, Desktop, Downloads, Pictures, etc. But when I highlight the Desktop, it says "0 items." Same with Applications, Documents, and Downloads. HOWEVER, if I highlight Pictures or Movies, up comes those folders' contents, nice as you please. I can understand not being able to connect at all. But how can I see the contents of some folders and not others? I've tried tweaking sharing prefs and folder permissions - nothing changes or works. Help?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 6:38 PM

Data privacy protections limit who is able to view the contents of those folders. That protection extends to the SMB daemon, smbd. I don't know if it will ask on the client side, but you can add smbd to Full Disk Access on the client.

Similar questions

2 replies

Connect to "half" of server??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.