Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove hard drive from broken mac mini to get files

Hi - Is it possible to remove the hard drive from a 2012 Mac Mini (that won't turn on) and connect it to another Mac to retrieve the files?

I've found articles online that describe how to replace the hard drive (with the correct tools) so I can see how to get the drive out - but will the drive have a port to connect to another computer so I can get some files that weren't backed up before it stopped working? (Not me!)

Or is there another way to retrieve the data? I managed to turn it on briefly last night and started a new backup but it shutdown again after about 5 minutes and I can't turn it on at all now. When I press the power button, the fan rotates briefly but nothing else happens.

Mac mini, OS X 10.10

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 12:55 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 29, 2022 4:27 PM in response to sleepydwarf

• Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
  • FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
  • Four USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)

Use a cable targeting one of these ports based on your year's model specs. I would pick the USB 3. Firewire is obsolete. A USB 3 cable would have a chance at being useful to you beyond this current problem. That or the Thunderbolt. USB 3 is backwards compatible so it has potential to be a longer lifetime getting along with a wider array of devices.

Mac mini (Late 2012) - Technical Specifications

Oct 25, 2022 8:38 AM in response to sleepydwarf

If the Hard Drive is not the original issue, then you can pull it and access it in a USB drive enclosure or on a USB to SATA adapter.

for examples,

https://sabrent.com/products/ec-uasp

https://sabrent.com/collections/hard-drive-accessories/products/ec-sshd

There are plenty of other drive enclosure and adapter brands that work just as well. I used Sabrent for example, because I have had excellent results with their enclosures, docks, hubs and other products.

remove hard drive from broken mac mini to get files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.