Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I see I can no longer open iPhoto. How can I access the photos I have saved there to move them to photos?

I see I can no longer open iPhoto. How can I access the photos I have saved there to move them to photos?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 7:46 AM

You can open the iPhoto Library in Photos:

• Quit Photos if it is running.
  • Hold down the options key ⌥ while double clicking the Photos.app to launch it again.
  • Release the options key ⌥ when you are seeing the dialog to select a library. Select the iPhoto Library and hit the Return key.

It may take a while, until Photos has created a new Photos Library from your iPhoto Library.

Once you upgrade your Mac to macOS 12 Monterey or later, you can directly import photos from an iPhoto Library into your Photos Library. But will not transfer the albums, only the photos.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 7:46 AM in response to coffeequeen28

You can open the iPhoto Library in Photos:

• Quit Photos if it is running.
  • Hold down the options key ⌥ while double clicking the Photos.app to launch it again.
  • Release the options key ⌥ when you are seeing the dialog to select a library. Select the iPhoto Library and hit the Return key.

It may take a while, until Photos has created a new Photos Library from your iPhoto Library.

Once you upgrade your Mac to macOS 12 Monterey or later, you can directly import photos from an iPhoto Library into your Photos Library. But will not transfer the albums, only the photos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.