Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband 10.4.6 doesn't show as many Logic instruments on my iMac as my MacBook Pro

My 2020 M1 13" MacBook Pro and 2021 M1 21" iMac both run Monterey 12.6 and Garageband 10.4.6. Both have 8 GB RAM; the MBP has 128 GB of storage and the iMac 512 GB. The MBP shows tons more Legacy > Logic instruments than the iMac. The iMac shows seven categories for Logic, whereas the MBP shows eleven. In the first category alone (01 Logic Instruments) the iMac shows two instruments (Hybrid Basic Synth and Hybrid Morph Synth) and the MBP shows 17 instruments (including both of those hybrid synths).

I've tried reinstalling the Sound Library on the iMac multiple times with no change. "Download Essential Sounds" and "Download All Available Sounds" are grayed out, and I only have the option of "Reinstall Sound Library." Does anyone have an idea about how I can get the rest of the available Logic instruments on my iMac? Why would the iMac and MBP show different instruments when the MacOS and Garageband versions are the same?

iMac

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 7:40 AM

The Legacy Instruments are not part of the current Instrument Library, that comes with a new, clean install of GarageBand or Logic.

On my Macs the Legacy instruments have been migrated between system versions by never erasing the sound libraries when upgrading to a new system version or never uninstalling GarageBand or Logic completely.

When I had to make a clean install a few years ago, I restored the Legacy Instruments by installing MainStage 3. It added plenty of Legacy instruments and loops from Logic and Garageband, and all Jam Packs.

You could also try to copy missing sounds over from the sound library on your other Mac:

/Library/Application Support/Logic/

and /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/

Additional Legacy loops may be here:

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 7:40 AM in response to roxfan25

The Legacy Instruments are not part of the current Instrument Library, that comes with a new, clean install of GarageBand or Logic.

On my Macs the Legacy instruments have been migrated between system versions by never erasing the sound libraries when upgrading to a new system version or never uninstalling GarageBand or Logic completely.

When I had to make a clean install a few years ago, I restored the Legacy Instruments by installing MainStage 3. It added plenty of Legacy instruments and loops from Logic and Garageband, and all Jam Packs.

You could also try to copy missing sounds over from the sound library on your other Mac:

/Library/Application Support/Logic/

and /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/

Additional Legacy loops may be here:

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

Oct 25, 2022 10:18 AM in response to léonie

Thank you, Leonie. Those first two sentences completely answered my "why", as I first configured Garageband on my MBP that had been running Big Sur at the time and had all those Logic instruments, and it was almost certainly running an earlier version of Garageband 10.4.x. I bought my iMac about six months later and it had Monterey pre-installed with Garageband 10.4.6. Also, thanks many times over for the suggestions to get the "missing" instruments to my iMac. I didn't know where to look, but now that I do, I'm going to give that a shot. Thank you again!

Oct 25, 2022 6:19 PM in response to léonie

Files have been copied, and all the instruments appear to be identical within Garageband > Legacy > Logic. I also found that I could modify the Folder view so that I could actually see the size of all the folders, and this was a huge time saver; I could see at a glance that folder sizes agreed after the files were copied. Thanks again!

Garageband 10.4.6 doesn't show as many Logic instruments on my iMac as my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.