Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I keep deleted mail in the Trash bin?

I have preferences set for Never for when to delete the contents of the bin, but the bin is emptying after about five days. What is the setting that I need to use?

Thank you for your help.

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 7:44 PM

Select the email service you are using in Mail's Preferences... menu > Accounts. Then, select Mailbox Behaviors.

Unless the Trash Mailbox is local (on your Mac) then messages will be deleted on the server according to the server's configured settings. If that is not what you want, change it to a Mailbox under "On My Mac".

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 7:44 PM in response to Steve1000

Select the email service you are using in Mail's Preferences... menu > Accounts. Then, select Mailbox Behaviors.

Unless the Trash Mailbox is local (on your Mac) then messages will be deleted on the server according to the server's configured settings. If that is not what you want, change it to a Mailbox under "On My Mac".

How do I keep deleted mail in the Trash bin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.