Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 4 to Thunderbolt 2 fails

Hi! Today I tried my newly purchased Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter in combination with my Thunderbolt 2 to FireWire 800 adaptor.

The Thunderbolt 2 to FireWirr 800 adaptor works, I tested it on my MacBookPro and it works perfectly with my FireWire Camera (which is powered by its own PSU).

But on my Mac Studio it doesn't do anything. The cam isn't seen at all. I read on internet more issues with this adaptor on the Mac Studio. Is there a known fix? Is it fixable with a firmware update?

I hope someone has a workaround. The cables were pretty expensive and I also would like them to work as expected.

Thanks!

Marius

Mac Studio, macOS 12.3

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 3:10 AM

The problem is fixed, but it is not known to me why. Perhaps due to software update of the Mac Studio. I read more problems people had initially with their Thunderbolt 4 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapters. Now everything works. So if people read this in the future, this might be the reason it works now.

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 26, 2022 7:43 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

This was (partly) a helpful comment. It did not solve the issue, but it brought me a little further.

1. The Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter is seen by the computer (see screenshot)
  2. The actual video camera is seen in the FireWire tab, but not in the Video/Display screens tab. See screenshots. The camera is the Panasonic NV-GS230 cam.

Point 2 is strange, since when I simply disconnect the Thunderbolt -> Firewire connector and connect it to my macbook pro (without changing anything else) it works right away.

I also tested a Thunderbolt -> Hdmi cable on this connector (The first connector is a Thunderbolt 3/4 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter) and this HDMI cable does also fail.

So in my theory there is something going wrong with the Thunderbolt 3/4 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

Since I read more issues, I think it does not matter what I connect to the Thunderbolt 2 adapter, it will fail.

Somehow it is strange though that the computer does actually see the firewire adapter.

Oct 28, 2022 8:29 AM in response to MusicMarius1976

What model MacBook Pro and what macOS version?

On there MacBook Pro does the FW camera require any software/drivers?

You also said "I also tested a Thunderbolt -> Hdmi cable on this connector (The first connector is a Thunderbolt 3/4 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter) and this HDMI cable does also fail."

If you are using a mini displayport>HDMI adapter note:

This adapter is not compatible with displays that use DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort, such as the Apple LED Cinema Display. Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 are not the same as Mini DisplayPort , though the ports have the same shape.

About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

Oct 27, 2022 5:14 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The problem is even more special now.

Since I did not get my camera working, I decided to buy a Logitech C920 PRO HD Webcam. I heard positive things about it, so I decided to buy it. And the good news is: it works out of the box.

Here is the weird detail:

Now the Logitich is connected (to USB) suddenly the Mac Studio ALSO see the Firewire camera. I do not understand why and how. Even when I remove the Logitech it still works.

I have been trying everything yesterday with the cam and it all failed. And now it suddenly works. I will report back when I find a way to reproduce the issue. But anyway, it works now. Both the firewire AND the Logitech.

Thunderbolt 4 to Thunderbolt 2 fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.