Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tables and TextEdit? How do I delete rows or an entire table?

I copied some info from a web page into a TextEdit document. It turned out to be formatted as an invisible table.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to delete a row or the table. I've tried all the usual methods, but nothing seems to work. Frustratingly, I can delete some bullets that were added (so, to add insult to injury, it auto formatted the text with bulleted list).

Any suggestions?

-------------

Stumbled into a brute force method-- changing the entire document from rich text to plain text and back again. Of course, that's not very helpful in prime time if you have tables you wish to keep! And, as I further discovered, it removes all formatted text, too!

There has to be a simpler method.

MacBook Pro (early fall 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 2:59 PM

8 replies

Aug 31, 2010 5:10 AM in response to baltwo

Hmm... unless I'm missing something, you must not work with tables very often! 🙂 How does one delete a specific row?

The arrows delete from the bottom up, giving the writer no control over which row gets removed.

As to your blunt remark: "I have no idea what else you'd want"

How about:

1) The ability to delete a selected row or column. 🙂

2) A delete row command under Edit!

3) A tables command under Format. (Not buried under a sub-menu and then a palette.)

I could go on, but that's just for starters.

Aug 31, 2010 11:14 AM in response to AstroMacMan

Sorry you didn't find it helpful. Then, as the other responder noted, TextEdit is the wrong tool for use, because it's a basic text editor, not a spreadsheet app. Try something like AppleWorks, Excel, Numbers, or any other spreadsheet app. If you want to pass on your enhancements to Apple's engineers, send an enhancement request via its Bug Reporter system. To do this, join the Mac Developer Program—it's free and available for all Mac users and gets you a look at some development software. Since you already have an Apple username/ID, use that. Once a member, go to Apple BugReporter and file your enhancement request. The nice thing with this procedure is that you get a response and a follow-up number; thus, starting a dialog with engineering. Also use this avenue for reporting bugs.

Sep 1, 2010 10:06 AM in response to baltwo

I'll let them know, although it's an obvious omission!

I'm a veteran Excel, Word user, give workshops on them, use them in courses, my own research, etc. and know well that TextEdit is not either (although TE has grown in functionality).

Don't need a spreadsheet for this. I often open up TE because it launches so quickly and can be a good place holder for certain text or for knocking off quick notes or as a place to save internet, news group, or forum threads.

I was simply surprised when some text from an Internet page I wanted to save ended up as a text with hidden table properties-- and that there seemed to be no way to delete a row!

I was hoping-- and still am hoping--that someone knows a command or a setting to do this.

It's just such a silly thing... TE has gobs of features for tables, but lacks such a basic one!

Sep 4, 2010 9:30 AM in response to AstroMacMan

same problem, figured out a solution.

i did the same thing, copied text from a webpage and pasted it into TextEdit. my solution was to go to Format/Table and I selected all the text and put "0" in for the Rows and "0" in for the Columns and the table was gone. now, you should know that, if you select all the text again and go to Format/Table, it will throw another default table in there, 2 Rows and 3 Columns. You just have to give the Rows and Columns a zero value.

Tables and TextEdit? How do I delete rows or an entire table?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.