Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple say iPads 5 and up can use stage manager?

Apple claimed that my 7th generation ipad was compatible with iPad OS 16, yet I cannot use stage manager. It seems like Apple is not interested in making this available if you don’t have a Pro model. I am extremely disappointed having been misled by the promo for IPad OS 16.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 10:47 AM

The new Stage Manager feature is available for these models of iPad:

• iPad Air (5th generation)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (all generations)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later)

More information here:

https://www.imore.com/how-use-stage-manager-ipad

Move, resize, and organize windows with Stage Manager on iPad - Apple Support

Feature availability is usually limited by system hardware - CPU and available RAM being critical to some advanced functionality.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2022 10:47 AM in response to Chanarut

The new Stage Manager feature is available for these models of iPad:

• iPad Air (5th generation)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (all generations)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later)

More information here:

https://www.imore.com/how-use-stage-manager-ipad

Move, resize, and organize windows with Stage Manager on iPad - Apple Support

Feature availability is usually limited by system hardware - CPU and available RAM being critical to some advanced functionality.

Oct 26, 2022 3:38 PM in response to Chanarut

NO base model iPads and older iPad models were never goimg to get the Stage Manager feature.

You must have misread the ad information.

Many of the “new and cool” features of iPadOS 16 will not be available to many older iPad models.

These older iPad models simply do not have powerful enough internal hardware.

This is why I am in NO hurry to upgrade my older iPad Pro to iPadOS 16. My iPad will just get the barebones basic features of iOS/iPadOS 16.

It's the way it is with technology.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Oct 26, 2022 4:10 PM in response to MichelPM

Thank you for showing me the footnote. But I don’t think most people see that number, or if they do, actually scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to read it. I’m just glad I didn’t run out to get a supported iPad like I did for the iPhone OS 16. It’s not easy to get one’s hopes up only to find out that you were not totally informed, or didn’t find the correct information. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one this happened to. I was watching videos and reading so the reviews about Stage Manager. I was really excited. Stupid me!

Oct 26, 2022 4:29 PM in response to Chanarut

Your evident frustration is understood. While your iPad5 doesn’t support Stage Manager, when the time or need arrives to warrant replacement with a newer models iPad, this new feature will very likely have matured into something really useful.

In the meantime, perhaps console yourself in knowing that the feature is currently, for some, relatively limited in its usefulness or appeal.

Why does Apple say iPads 5 and up can use stage manager?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.