Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cloning Macintosh HD to a bootable external drive

Hi,

I have to clone my internal drive to an external so that I can update the OSx on my mbp because it is giving me a real hard time with many things. The point is I have software that won't run with Monterrey os and I need that software to work, and someone suggested to do the cloning. So far I have successfully installed OSx on this external ssd and it runs ok, but I cannot update that os and I have looked for a method to clone my drive onto the external drive but so far I have hit the wall over and over. My mbp is a mid 2015 model, with 16gb of ram and 512 on the drive, so in theory it should be able to support Monterey. Also I would very much like to start the internal drive from scratch and every file, photos and so on that I have accumulated thru the years leave it on the external bootable drive, is that something that you would recommend?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 4:01 PM

I use Carbon Copy Cloner...

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Similar questions

3 replies

Cloning Macintosh HD to a bootable external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.