Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro13,2 and Ventura

MacBook Pro13,2 and Ventura compatibility

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 1:39 PM

6 replies

Oct 26, 2022 4:26 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Generally, planned obsolescence has not been a good strategy for enterprises. Perhaps this historically bad strategy will not be bad for Apple. My MacBook Pro13,2 is fully capable of supporting Ventura, but Apple prefers to make my MacBook Pro13,2 worth only $140 as a trade-in.

Against a new MacBook Pro just like mine, this is planned to net Apple $1359! On paper, It's good for Apple's bottom line - if it works. But, there are work-arounds that may make my MacBook Pro13,2 able to run Ventura. If this work-around works for lots of MacBook Pro owners, then a group of Apple advocate-lovers may morph into a cadre of not-advocate-lovers. Could be a problem. We'll see.

Oct 27, 2022 7:33 AM in response to Lockard

Your Mac continues to be able to do everything it could do the day you took it out of the box. And because Apple has released many improved versions of MacOS since then, at no additional cost to you, it likely can do a whole lot more.

Apple's policy has been to continue to provide Security Updates for the current version of MacOS AND the two previous versions. Nothing falls off a cliff and stops working because a new version of MacOS is issued and you can not run it on your older Mac.

They just stopped giving you free upgrades.

Oct 28, 2022 8:23 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

My understanding is that my MacBook Pro13,2 is 6 years old (late 2016). If it's 'almost ten years old', then it could be called decrepit.

I understand the large cost of trying to cope with lots of computer configurations and the related many patches to operating systems; it's tough work. If the claims online of patches to unlock the Ventura restrictions at little or no cost, then Ventura is imposing planned obsolescence. Perhaps Apple is looking forward to changes to Ventura that will not be compatible; that possibility could be a [weak] reason for blocking Ventura from MacBook Pro13,2.

Oct 29, 2022 7:50 AM in response to Lockard

The processor used in the 2016 models is named SkyLake. From Wikipedia article of that name:

Sky Lake Known issues[edit]

Short loops with a specific combination of instruction use may cause unpredictable system behavior on CPUs with hyperthreading. A microcode update was issued to fix the issue.[68]

Skylake is vulnerable to Spectre attacks.[69] In fact, it is more vulnerable than other processors because it uses indirect branch speculation not just on indirect branches but also when the return prediction stack underflows.

The latency for the spinlock PAUSE instruction has been increased dramatically (from the usual 10 cycles to 141 cycles in Skylake), which can cause performance issues with older programs or libraries using pause instructions.[70] Intel documents the increased latency as a feature that improves power efficiency.[71]

The Vastly improved built-in Graphics capabilities of its replacement (used in 2017 MacBook Pro), named Kaby lake:

Kaby Lake features:

Kaby Lake features a new graphics architecture to improve performance in 3D graphics and 4K video playback.[7][28] It adds native HDCP 2.2 support,[29] along with fixed function decode of H.264 (AVC), HEVC Main and Main10/10-bit, and VP9 10-bit and 8-bit video.[27][30][31][32] Hardware encode is supported for H.264 (AVC), HEVC Main10/10-bit, and VP9 8-bit video. VP9 10-bit encode is not supported in hardware. Both OpenGL 4.6 and OpenCL 3.0 are now supported.[33]

Conclusion: this is not an arbitrary choice based on one factor, but a preponderance of accumulated issues with the older Sky lake features along with huge improvements, in exactly the areas the newest MacOS emphasizes, available in Kaby Lake.

MacBook Pro13,2 and Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.