Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't enable family sharing in Ventura - No error, just spins

I have a new M1 Mac mini that I immediately updated to Ventura. When trying to enable Family Sharing in System Preferences, it asks for my Apple email and password, then just shows the spinning icon. It never continues and never times out.

It seems the handshake and credential check either doesn't connect or just never completes.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 2:01 PM

4 replies

Oct 26, 2022 2:09 PM in response to jamesandtina02

Try launching the library with the Option+Command keys held down to repair the library.

If that fails boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Oct 26, 2022 4:11 PM in response to jamesandtina02

I figured it out. Apple only allows 5 computers to view purchased content (movies, in this case). So when I tried to turn on Family Sharing, instead of Apple displaying an error indicating that I had already used all 5 of my activations, it just fell into an infinity loop.

I had to deauthorize all 5 of the previously authorized computers (that was the only option), then authorize my new one. One restart later, and no error and my Apple TVs are seeing the movie library now.

Can't enable family sharing in Ventura - No error, just spins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.