Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove items in Allow in the Background

Can someone help me remove these items from the Allow in the Background in the Login Items pane?

I've deleted those applications and rebooted and these two files remain.

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 7:22 AM

Hi,

In Finder, go to the following folders:

• /Library/LaunchDaemons
  • /Library/LaunchAgents (for items that affect all users)

Then find the items and delete them.

8 replies

Dec 24, 2022 8:13 AM in response to Thop80418

Hello, 

Since asking my question, I've been able to remove those items in the "Allow in Background" pane.

Sometimes app developers will include instructions on how to completely remove software on their websites. That's how I was able to remove those items from my Mac.

Thanks to your image, I found a website showing how to completely remove Brother LTD software.

I'm not sure if those instructions will work with the macOS version shown in the pictures.

Let me know if it works out.

Jan 12, 2023 11:31 AM in response to JOSH1920

Did you just delete the app? Were there uninstaller apps or features in those apps to uninstall them completely. Deleting just the apps leaves a lot of flotsam behind and then need to be removed along with the app.

One way to do that is with the shareware app Find Any File . It can search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For zoom software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains zoom

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

If they can't be deleted because they are running boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and delete from there.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Origin may be the developer's name so Google for it to see which app it represents.

How to remove items in Allow in the Background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.