Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Save in TextEdit

When I try and save something created in TextEdit when I try and save it the following pops up:

I've saved other documents in the past so why is this notice popping up?

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 10:08 AM

Where are you trying to save the file? If you are saving the file on the internal boot drive, then you can only do so within your home user folder since macOS has locked areas outside of the /Users folder to protect macOS.

If you are attempting to save the file within your home user folder, then make sure you can create a new folder within that folder. If you cannot do so, then it means you have a permissions issue with that parent folder.

Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac - Apple Support

If you are trying to save to an external drive, what file system is being used and is "Ignore Ownership" checked on it? Use "Get Info" on the external volume using the Finder to see if that setting is checked.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2022 10:08 AM in response to Porsche Pilot

Where are you trying to save the file? If you are saving the file on the internal boot drive, then you can only do so within your home user folder since macOS has locked areas outside of the /Users folder to protect macOS.

If you are attempting to save the file within your home user folder, then make sure you can create a new folder within that folder. If you cannot do so, then it means you have a permissions issue with that parent folder.

Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac - Apple Support

If you are trying to save to an external drive, what file system is being used and is "Ignore Ownership" checked on it? Use "Get Info" on the external volume using the Finder to see if that setting is checked.

Unable to Save in TextEdit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.