Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library stucks in updating

After the update to macOS Ventura the Photos App stucks in updating the Library at 0 %.

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 8:58 PM

It is probably updating, but not wasting any time on updating the status message. Let it run and don't interrupt it or it will start over need just longer to complete the update of the library.

Only check if the Photos Library is in a suitable location when it is not in your Pictures folder, as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2022 8:58 PM in response to CVSchinkel

It is probably updating, but not wasting any time on updating the status message. Let it run and don't interrupt it or it will start over need just longer to complete the update of the library.

Only check if the Photos Library is in a suitable location when it is not in your Pictures folder, as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 27, 2022 8:48 AM in response to léonie

After 12 hours I stopped updating process and made a new Photos Library called "Bilder-Bibliotek.photoslibrary".

Then I put the old one in the trash. - The old one hasn't appeared in the trash.

I tried to open the old one - because it is the "system library" and now I get this error message "Photos can not open library ”Photos Library.photoslibrary”. (3142)"

When I try to open the new one:

Go to settings and change system library to be the "Bilder-Bibliotek.photoslibrary" the Photos App stuck with the mouse turning into the rainbow spinning wheel when moving over the app.

Photos Library stucks in updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.