Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App-specific password problem

I'm trying to use Spark to amalgamate my three email accounts.

It's been fine for years until today.

Today it has asked for an "app-specific password" for my icloud.

In theory this should be fine but it won't accept the password I'm generating.

I think I've worked out why but I can't work out a workaround. Can anyone help?

The issue, I believe, is that my Apple ID is based on my hotmail account. When I log into my account to generate the app-specific password it is linked to a hotmail account but the email address I need an app-specific password for is my icloud account.

This is what I see when Spark requests an app-specific password - note it says "@icloud.com"

This is what I see when I log in to my apple account to create the password: Note it says "@hotmail.com". This happens even if I try to log into my apple account using the @icloud.com address.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 11:58 AM

Hello Toby10,

Have you tried the following related steps yet: Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords

App-specific passwords allow you to securely use your Apple ID to sign in to apps made by developers other than Apple.

Some apps made by developers other than Apple ask you to sign in with your Apple ID, so that the app can access information like mail, contacts, and calendars that you store in iCloud. To help make sure that your Apple ID password can't be stored or collected by the app, you can choose to create an Apple ID password to use only with that app.

You use this app-specific password when the app asks you to sign in with your Apple ID.

To generate and use app-specific passwords, your Apple ID must be protected with two-factor authentication.

How to generate an app-specific password

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.
2. In the Sign-In and Security section, select App-Specific Passwords.
3. Select Generate an app-specific password or select the Add button Blue plus sign icon., then follow the steps on your screen.
4. Enter or paste the app-specific password into the password field of the app.

These steps should help to create an app-specific password for your account. In case these steps don't help out, then it may be best to contact the app developer for further assistance. Here's how: How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Hoping this helps out, take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2022 11:58 AM in response to Toby10

Hello Toby10,

Have you tried the following related steps yet: Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords

App-specific passwords allow you to securely use your Apple ID to sign in to apps made by developers other than Apple.

Some apps made by developers other than Apple ask you to sign in with your Apple ID, so that the app can access information like mail, contacts, and calendars that you store in iCloud. To help make sure that your Apple ID password can't be stored or collected by the app, you can choose to create an Apple ID password to use only with that app.

You use this app-specific password when the app asks you to sign in with your Apple ID.

To generate and use app-specific passwords, your Apple ID must be protected with two-factor authentication.

How to generate an app-specific password

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.
2. In the Sign-In and Security section, select App-Specific Passwords.
3. Select Generate an app-specific password or select the Add button Blue plus sign icon., then follow the steps on your screen.
4. Enter or paste the app-specific password into the password field of the app.

These steps should help to create an app-specific password for your account. In case these steps don't help out, then it may be best to contact the app developer for further assistance. Here's how: How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Hoping this helps out, take care.

App-specific password problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.