Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to Safari in macOS Ventura??

I've upgraded my M1 Mac mini to macOS 13.0 and am having a lot of trouble logging into secure sites. The background gets painted, but the actual pages never load. It's so bad I've had to use Chrome to get simple things done (like select "Buy" in Audible.com! I used to login to myHealthOnline with ease, but this has been stuck for 5 minutes. How to I back up to the previous Safari version??

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Mac mini, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 2:53 AM

No Issues here on M1 Mac Mini with Ventura 13.0

But then again, do not have any AV, Cleaners, Optimizers or VPNs either

What happens when the computer is run in Safe Mode

This would Eliminate Third Party Software from loading. Thereby quickly identifying a possible source of this issue

Similar questions

14 replies

Oct 28, 2022 2:46 AM in response to michaelwallis

michaelwallis wrote:

I've upgraded my M1 Mac mini to macOS 13.0 and am having a lot of trouble logging into secure sites. The background gets painted, but the actual pages never load. It's so bad I've had to use Chrome to get simple things done (like select "Buy" in Audible.com! I used to login to myHealthOnline with ease, but this has been stuck for 5 minutes. How to I back up to the previous Safari version??

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

See if there is anything here—

If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn't working as ...

Uninstall any and all third party Antivirus, Cleaners, Optimizers, VPN, speeder uppers....

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Oct 31, 2022 1:00 PM in response to n@m

n@m wrote:

I have the same issue. All other apps are fine. This is a brand new Mac M1 Mini and updated to Ventura OS 13. Before that, Safari ran fine. Afterwards, it just loads a window but no bookmarks, no home page, and constantly in loading mode with the rainbow carousel. I can't even select any options for Safari or even the Apple icon in the far left top corner.

I have to go to the dock to right click and Force Quit.

I checked all the documentation on prior responses. I do not believe another clean install of Mac OS will help as this is a brand new Mac M1 Mini. I'm pretty adept to IT issues (former career field).

No extensions or prior apps that support Safari were downloaded or installed.

I'm assuming that there may be an issue loading Bookmarks or Reading List (since it is basically reading in iCloud settings).

However, I also turned off any settings in iCloud to sync Safari.

I guess I will just move on to Brave. It's faster anyway and the issues with Chromium browsers + writing on SSD as "RAM" seems to also be resolved.

Thanks to the post above but it took me a minute of digging around to finally land the full path to the setting:

Safari>Settings>Privacy

Oct 31, 2022 12:25 PM in response to michaelwallis

I have the same issue. All other apps are fine. This is a brand new Mac M1 Mini and updated to Ventura OS 13. Before that, Safari ran fine. Afterwards, it just loads a window but no bookmarks, no home page, and constantly in loading mode with the rainbow carousel. I can't even select any options for Safari or even the Apple icon in the far left top corner.

I have to go to the dock to right click and Force Quit.

I checked all the documentation on prior responses. I do not believe another clean install of Mac OS will help as this is a brand new Mac M1 Mini. I'm pretty adept to IT issues (former career field).

No extensions or prior apps that support Safari were downloaded or installed.

I'm assuming that there may be an issue loading Bookmarks or Reading List (since it is basically reading in iCloud settings).

However, I also turned off any settings in iCloud to sync Safari.

I guess I will just move on to Brave. It's faster anyway and the issues with Chromium browsers + writing on SSD as "RAM" seems to also be resolved.

Nov 2, 2022 7:45 AM in response to leroydouglas

I'm on an Intel-based MB Pro with Ventura 13 and having several issues with Safari as well. Nearly every page I visit (except of course, at Apple.com) takes an untenably long time to render. You can see it loading, then the "x" icon in the address bar switches to the "reload" icon, indicating that the page is loaded, but the actual browser window remains blank for as long as 15 seconds before the view renders.

Additionally, if I click in the address bar, the contents of the address bar completely disappear, and when I start typing, none of the text I type is displayed. Only the "suggestions" dropdown is displayed. Otherwise, there's no indication of what I've typed.

I have no cleaners, optimizers, etc., and these symptoms are consistent whether I'm connected to my work VPN or not. This began immediately after upgrading to Ventura.

Even if it fixes my issue, I don't consider allowing my IP address to be tracked a reasonable solution. I'd rather wait for the issue to be sorted out.

Nov 2, 2022 9:20 AM in response to Dougji

Dougji wrote:

Even if it fixes my issue, I don't consider allowing my IP address to be tracked a reasonable solution. I'd rather wait for the issue to be sorted out.

This is probably more of a website issue than an Apple issue. I know multiple websites which will not work properly if "Private" mode is enabled or when I disable trackers (even though I still let ads to be displayed). The website developers are very lazy these days and the advertisement industry doesn't care about providing a decent experience to users as it is all about info, tracking & money. I get upset with tech sites accusing me of blocking ads when I still see the ads on the site as it makes me ready to fully block all advertising. Laziness & greed.

It would be better if Safari allowed this setting to be configured for individual websites so that users would not have to give up their privacy for every site just because some sites won't respect user preferences. The classic Opera v12.x browser used to have configurable settings per website back in the day when websites would not allow non-Internet Explorer browsers to work on their sites and I had to toggle the "Identify as IE" to access a site.

Nov 2, 2022 11:15 AM in response to HWTech

I'm. not entirely convinced that's the issue, HWTech. Hide My IP isn't a new feature in Safari, and I'm hitting all of the same web sites I've been hitting for years and getting brand new results. These are web sites which work just fine using Brave with all of its shields up. While there are sites that don't work properly with Brave's shields up, they're pretty rare, and usually the symptoms are forms the don't work correctly. I haven't encountered any that wouldn't display at all or that take an inordinate amount of time to render.

I have to admit though, that while Hiding My IP is not a new feature in Safari, I never really checked to see if it was enabled by default, nor did I manually turn it on in the past. I suppose it's possible that with the Ventura update, it's now enabled by default for the first time, and therefore it's the first time I've used Safari with it enabled. But there are several other things going on that I doubt are related at all to hiding my IP.

For instance I just realized that if I try to pinch-zoom out in Safari, the page content disappears entirely, and all of my tabs disappear as well until I zoom back in. There's a lot going on with this new release and I can't imagine it's all due to improperly-developed web sites.

What happened to Safari in macOS Ventura??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.