Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Did you mean to add a recipient?" prompt triggered by signature in Mail

"Did you mean to add a recipient?

You wrote “…[Email and phone redacted] ”, but it looks like you may have missed adding the recipient."

No, I didn't, that's my email in my signature. Anyone else being driven crazy by this prompt?

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 11:24 AM

52 replies

Oct 27, 2022 12:31 PM in response to Meruktaker

forcedaccountcreationislame wrote:

"Did you mean to add a recipient?
You wrote “…[Email and phone redacted] ”, but it looks like you may have missed adding the recipient."

No, I didn't, that's my email in my signature. Anyone else being driven crazy by this prompt?

? say what

is there some references or bigger context here...?

delete the signature and compare your results.

add a new signature and compare your results

Create and use email signatures in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

For problem accounts the go to way to sort things out is to delete the account, then add it back.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Nov 2, 2022 12:47 PM in response to BARSTL

BARSTL wrote:

BTW, is it true, as is asserted below, that no one from Apple reviews these discussions? I would think they would see them as a place to identify problems in their earliest stages.

Yes.

These forums exist to allow Apple users the opportunity to help other Apple users.

Apple does not read these forums other than to ensure compliance with the Terms of Use.

Apple Support Communities Use Agreement - Apple Community

which also states:

Apple may respond to questions but does not formally provide technical support on the Site.

Nov 8, 2022 7:40 AM in response to Meruktaker

I have this problem too, and none of the workaround in other comments helped at all.

I've left a bug report in Feedback - Mail - Apple, saying this is a showstopper bug for me — I won't upgrade any of my other devices, and I'm recommending against upgrading to everyone I know until this is fixed.

More than that, though, it really feels like they didn't even test this feature. How could they have missed this bug? Doesn't virtually every email signature include contact info like your email address? Don't they test sending email with a signature?

Nov 2, 2022 6:55 AM in response to Meruktaker

I found the solution!!!

Go to

-Mail -> Settings -> Signatures

Select the Signature that is causing the problem

• On the right box select the email address from the signature text
  • Right click and select Link -> Edit Link
  • Remove the "mailto:" (leave only the email address)
  • Click Ok
  • close the settings and test if you can send email without the prompt to be triggered

If you get back to the email on the link that you removed you will see that the "mailto:" is there again. this is happened due to the fact that the app completes the string and corrects the problem.

Hope it helps.

Sorry for my english...

Oct 28, 2022 2:57 AM in response to Meruktaker

Yes, I'm getting the same message. It occurs on my iMac when I reply to a received email. So far the messages my replies have all been sent, but it's a bit disconcerting. This has only started happening since the update to Ventura. It doesn't happen when I send a fresh email - ie not one which is part of a thread.

Come on Apple - sort this out. We all pay top dollar for your kit, so I for one expect better from you.

Nov 2, 2022 10:04 AM in response to Meruktaker

I have also had this problem. And at least one the message I was trying to send got stuck in the Outbox after I had clicked "Send Anyway" (I'm not sure of the exact wording.) I did get it send after trying again, and I don't know if the two problems are related.

BTW, is it true, as is asserted below, that no one from Apple reviews these discussions? I would think they would see them as a place to identify problems in their earliest stages.

Nov 17, 2022 3:14 PM in response to Meruktaker

There is no actual fix for this that I know of.

Even if you have turned a live Mailto: link in your signature to plain text, the problem still exists.

This new "feature" (sic) pops up every time you try to send a message and Mail.app finds any email address in the message body or signature that's not already a recipient address in the To:, Cc:, or Bcc: fields.

If you mention someone's email address in the body, boom. If you quote an email chain that has a dozen addresses showing in the text, boom. Mail.app will offer to add (all of?) those addresses as recipients.

It's annoying and disruptive, and we need to be able to switch it off.

Sending Apple feedback now.

…Bob

Jan 13, 2023 12:52 PM in response to Meruktaker

I finally upgraded yesterday and BOOM - I get the error.

Then I noticed that the error only applied to my Mastadon account in my sig, not to my email address.

Hmmm...

Next, I went to the Me card in contacts,

added in a new email address,

Named it Mastadon

And entered in my Mastodon account ID in the email address field.

Tested a sent message and it worked beautifully. No error message about my Mastadon address in the signature.

Looks like it's hunting for email addresses in the body text that are not in the header or on your ME card.

Kim

"Did you mean to add a recipient?" prompt triggered by signature in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.