Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to transfer from 2013 MacPro to 2022 MacPro?

I'm finally moving to a new MacPro tower but I was wondering what is the best way to transfer from my old 2013 MacPro? Should I use the migration app or can I do a Time Machine restoration on the new MacPro? I'm still on 10.14 with the old MacPro because of legacy apps, (Logic9) but I'm not sure if a Time Machine backup would work with the new architecture and new OS?

Your thoughts, thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 8:53 AM

In the tile you say 2022 MacPro and in body new MacPro tower. The newest MacPro tower is still the 2019 MacPro tower.

The 2019 MacPro Tower can run 10.5 and later.

Yes, you can use your ™ backup to via either Setup Assistant (which is available when you install new OS on computer or initial setup on a new computer) or Migration assistance after you first setup the computer. Non-compatible apps will be migrated to the newer computer but will be marked as not able to be run. I migrated my Mac Studio from my 2013 MacPro from ™ backup w/o problem but some apps would not run as expected.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2022 8:53 AM in response to Bmode

In the tile you say 2022 MacPro and in body new MacPro tower. The newest MacPro tower is still the 2019 MacPro tower.

The 2019 MacPro Tower can run 10.5 and later.

Yes, you can use your ™ backup to via either Setup Assistant (which is available when you install new OS on computer or initial setup on a new computer) or Migration assistance after you first setup the computer. Non-compatible apps will be migrated to the newer computer but will be marked as not able to be run. I migrated my Mac Studio from my 2013 MacPro from ™ backup w/o problem but some apps would not run as expected.

Best way to transfer from 2013 MacPro to 2022 MacPro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.