Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 vs Intel in games (ram and vram magic)

I have two MacBooks:

MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019 16gb ram 1TB intel i9

MacBook Pro 14 inch 2021 16gb ram 512GB 8/14 cores M1 chip

I tried to launch Rust (game) on both MacBooks. RAM is bottleneck for that game.

BUT

M1 MacBook shows very smooth gameplay and no RAM issues in the same conditions (game settings, server size, players number)

It's wired for me, as I know M1 chip uses RAM as VRAM, so with the same 16gb of RAM M1 chip has lower RAM to use. But it performs much better.

Is that possible that RAM compression or swap much faster on M1 chip? This is the only reason I can imagine

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 5:28 AM

yuriyfromkemerovo wrote:

I have two MacBooks:

I tried to launch Rust (game) on both MacBooks. RAM is bottleneck for that game.
BUT
M1 MacBook shows very smooth gameplay and no RAM issues in the same conditions (game settings, server size, players number)
It's wired for me, as I know M1 chip uses RAM as VRAM, so with the same 16gb of RAM M1 chip has lower RAM to use. But it performs much better.

Is that possible that RAM compression or swap much faster on M1 chip? This is the only reason I can imagine

Yes.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2022 5:28 AM in response to yuriyfromkemerovo

yuriyfromkemerovo wrote:

I have two MacBooks:

BUT

Yes.

M1 vs Intel in games (ram and vram magic)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.