Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sea Monkey will not open with Ventura MacOS on 10/27/22.

Sea Monkey will not open with Ventura MacOS on 10/27/22. Reloaded both regular and Beta versions of Sea Monkey. It is not compatible.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 11:14 AM

36 replies

Oct 30, 2022 11:13 AM in response to lkelley49

Here is the MacOS (Ventura) warning message that is consistently presented to me when SeaMonkey 2.23.14 consistently crashes upon start-up:

seamonkey[17375:1575941] *** WARNING: Textured window <ToolbarWindow: 0x113abe000> is getting an implicitly transparent titlebar. This will break when linking against newer SDKs. Use NSWindow's -titlebarAppearsTransparent=YES instead.

Oct 31, 2022 11:08 AM in response to dialabrain

Tried that. Had to create an account, which I did. I then verified it, logged in, and posted about the issue. Or tried to. By the time I finished my query my account had been manually disabled by an administrator. No idea why. But it doesn't look like there's going to be much help from that route. :-)

And, no, I didn't say anything ugly. Very odd.

Nov 5, 2022 7:13 AM in response to Adam Berkey

Adam Berkey wrote:

Thunderbird works fine for email but I am using the Composer portion of SeaMonkay for my web page. In true Apple fashion, right on que, has disabled yet another valuable application that I need. It worked on Monterey on my M1...

Apple didn’t disable anything. Developers are responsible for keeping their software up-to-date with Apple’s changes. not the other way around. If Apple had to verify all third party software continued to work or wait for developers to get up to speed before releasing an update there wouldn’t be any updates. As I pointed out in an earlier post developers have had many MONTHS to ensure their software was ready for Ventura. Your issue is with the developer of that "valuable application that I need”. And perhaps, if that application is so important to you, you might have waited before installing Ventura. You would have noticed this thread and others and waited for a fix from the developer, right?

Nov 5, 2022 7:39 PM in response to Adam Berkey

Adam Berkey wrote:

Crossover, Download Windows SeaMonkey latest, create a Win7 or later bottle.
Looks like crap but it works so far. That is, if you already have Crossover... if you don't have Crossover, then this route will cost you money.

A general rule is that once a Mac app stops working and someone suggests using Crossover instead, the app is officially dead.

Nov 6, 2022 10:03 AM in response to Adam Berkey

Appreciate the recommendation, but I've had my share of VMs, frankly, from my days as an IT manager at ATT. No doubt newer ones are better, but if I wanted to shell out more than I decided to pay for BBEdit, I'd just go for a Dreamweaver subscription. As it is, I'm willing to wait and see if the SeaMonkey folks get their act together.

Nov 6, 2022 5:10 PM in response to chuckfromsaint louis

BbEdit does not appear to me to be anything like Composer. There are apps on the app store that are WYSIWYG but I have not tried them yet. If they are anything like iWeb, the site will end up being a monsterosity in terms of file sizes. Composer in SeaMonkey and Netscape and Komposer (also doesn’t work on M1/M2) made bare bones sites with WYSIWYG.

Nov 6, 2022 6:12 PM in response to Adam Berkey

You're absolutely right about BBEDit, but I'm currently using it simply because I started creating web sites back when everything was text-based, so I'm comfortable with it, even though I'd rather than a decent WYSIWYG interface. If you or anyone else knows of an alternative to SeaMonkey Composer, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I mean, I could buy Dreamweaver, but with a subscription price of $30 a month I'd rather not. :-)

Nov 8, 2022 12:41 PM in response to lkelley49

FYI, from the SeaMonkey site (https://www.seamonkey-project.org/):

"November 6, 2022

SeaMonkey and macOS Ventura

Attention macOS users! The current SeaMonkey release crashes during startup after upgrading to macOS 13 Ventura. Until we have a fix we advise you not to upgrade your macOS installation to Ventura. No usable crash information is generated and this might take a bit longer than usual to fix. This is not a problem with Monterey 12.6.1 or any lower supported macOS version so might even be an Apple bug.

The problem is tracked in Bug 1797696."

So, passing the buck, apparently. Best to look for alternatives, IMO.

Sea Monkey will not open with Ventura MacOS on 10/27/22.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.