Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files encrypted with openssl aes-256 (from command line) with macOS Monterey cannot be decrypted with openssl in macOS Ventura

Files encrypted with openssl from command line (actually LibreSSL-2.8.3) with method aes-256-cbc in macOS Monterey cannot be decrypted with openssl in macOS Ventura (actually LibreSSL 3.3.6): "error:06FFF064:digital envelope routines:CRYPTO_internal:bad decrypt:/AppleInternal/Library/BuildRoots/ ...."

Also when using the aes-256-ctr method the decrypted data is still unreadable, even not giving an error message.

As a workaround, I copied the old Monterey /usr/bin/openssl binary from my work computer to my home directory in Ventura and run it with ~/openssl-LibreSSL-2.8.3

Is this a known bug? Other solutions?

MacBook Pro 13″, 13.0

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 4:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 10:45 AM

I had the same problem. File encrypted pre-Ventura cannot be decrypted in Ventura, and file encrypted in Ventura cannot be decrypted pre-Ventura.

Luckily I had an old laptop that could not be upgraded to Ventura, so I used that to decrypt my files

I'm using "openssl enc -aes-256-cbc -salt" to encrypt and "openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc" to decrypt.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2022 10:45 AM in response to SREhNL

I had the same problem. File encrypted pre-Ventura cannot be decrypted in Ventura, and file encrypted in Ventura cannot be decrypted pre-Ventura.

Luckily I had an old laptop that could not be upgraded to Ventura, so I used that to decrypt my files

I'm using "openssl enc -aes-256-cbc -salt" to encrypt and "openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc" to decrypt.

Nov 5, 2022 7:57 PM in response to SREhNL

So glad to find these examples... I had same issue with not being able to use openssl to decrypt my file after upgrading from Monterey to Ventura.

Luckily, we have access to a MBP running Monterey, moved the file there, decrypted there to cleartext just fine with no problem.

We then moved the cleartext file back to Ventura, and now we are able to encrypt/decrypt that file in Ventura with the old command without any problems.

Files encrypted with openssl aes-256 (from command line) with macOS Monterey cannot be decrypted with openssl in macOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.