Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Large annoying blocks of tiny text pop up when I move my pointer over a graphic in mac mail.

How do i prevent large blocks of text from appearing when I move my pointer over a graphic in mac mail? Appears to be a complete url but really gets in the way. I'm a novice Mac user.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 11:36 AM

dogwalkman wrote:

Sorry, got carried away when this gigantic text box appeared. If there is really no way to prevent these I will not click on the spot where they pop up. I'm new with Mac and on this forum so haven't really gotten the hang of it yet.

This hover is to allow you to see if the link goes where you would want it to go.

A whole lot of the scams work by sending you to unexpected places.

An “Apple login webpage” at Sketchy.Example.Com and not at the expected Apple.com, for instance.

Here are a few examples of the many scams:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

The subscribed mail messages you’re showing and the rest are “merely” about tracking your online activities, sometimes to provide you with services, but mostly to track and monitor and to use that to advertise and sell you (and the rest of us) more stuff based on what you (we) are viewing. Or occasionally, to try to scam you (us).

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2022 11:36 AM in response to dogwalkman

dogwalkman wrote:

Sorry, got carried away when this gigantic text box appeared. If there is really no way to prevent these I will not click on the spot where they pop up. I'm new with Mac and on this forum so haven't really gotten the hang of it yet.

This hover is to allow you to see if the link goes where you would want it to go.

A whole lot of the scams work by sending you to unexpected places.

An “Apple login webpage” at Sketchy.Example.Com and not at the expected Apple.com, for instance.

Here are a few examples of the many scams:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

The subscribed mail messages you’re showing and the rest are “merely” about tracking your online activities, sometimes to provide you with services, but mostly to track and monitor and to use that to advertise and sell you (and the rest of us) more stuff based on what you (we) are viewing. Or occasionally, to try to scam you (us).

Oct 29, 2022 8:44 AM in response to dogwalkman

Update 2:

That’s hover to preview the link (a tracking link, here), and I don’t see a way to turn that off.

Log some feedback with Apple: Product Feedback - Apple

Update 1:

This is HTML rendering in mail, the hover is showing the embedded URLs used for tracking your clicks, so disabling hover uses the WebKit settings to show or hide the tracking info… (I think this can be turned off, but will have to check.)

Which macOS? (There have been some changes in how this hover works in Big Sur IIRC, particularly when working with Magic Trackpad.)

Wrong info from a wrong guess follows…

Yellow boxes?

Maybe Tool tips? https://www.noproblemmac.com/osx-tooltips-the-little-yellow-box-knows-all/

Maybe broken tool tips, if you’re getting a URL?

I don’t have a way to test this right now: https://www.macworld.com/article/183408/termtooltips.html

Oct 29, 2022 8:36 AM in response to dogwalkman

Got it and thank you.

Yes it is normal only when you Mouse Over the Image that contains an embedded Url ( Web Site Link )

For this reason it is IMHO to be carful about clicking in the Image directly.

There are some Bad Actors on the inert and this could be a good way to fool the user into downloading some Malware or Adware

A very well presented article form a Long Standing and Respected Contributor

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Oct 29, 2022 8:00 AM in response to dogwalkman

You are one of the few to regularly get images to actually appear in an e-mail on a regular basis.

Too often on these Forums, it is the Exact Opposite in that image Do Not Appear in e-mails.

If possible can you provide a Screen Shot of this without revealing an Person Information

Use the 3 Keyboard Combo " Shift Command 5 "

This should create an image file on your Desktop and post that image using the 2nd to last icon called " Image Selection "

Large annoying blocks of tiny text pop up when I move my pointer over a graphic in mac mail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.