Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail in Big Sur

I have set up mailboxes by topic to file emails in that I want to keep. Suddenly overnight half of the mailbox aren't visible and I can't find them. How to I find and restore them?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 3:31 PM

It must think the mailboxes are already in view.

It seems that way. Try this: Quit the Mail app if it is open. Then, press and hold a Shift key while launching Mail from Applications or the Dock.

That action opens Mail in windowed mode (not full screen) with no message selected.

Release the Shift key when the Mail app opens. See if that causes the mailbox list to repopulate.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2022 3:31 PM in response to gcapplehelp

It must think the mailboxes are already in view.

It seems that way. Try this: Quit the Mail app if it is open. Then, press and hold a Shift key while launching Mail from Applications or the Dock.

That action opens Mail in windowed mode (not full screen) with no message selected.

Release the Shift key when the Mail app opens. See if that causes the mailbox list to repopulate.

Oct 29, 2022 2:27 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for your response. When I open View> the mailbox list shows Hide instead of Show. When I use the key chord, nothing changes. It must think the mailboxes are already in view. I'm stumped. I cleaned out tons of saved, filed, and trashed emails thinking I may have reached some sort of space limit, but that hasn't worked either. If you have another suggestion I would appreciate it very much.

Apple Mail in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.