Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro external display

i have bought an iPad Pro 11 inch 3rd generation and wondering how to connect it to a external monitor and get use of stage manager on iOS 16.

I have an HDMI & hub as well but when I connected to the display it’s only mirroring & the arrangement tap is not existing .

when I went to one of the Apple resellers they told me that I can’t use this feature since iPad does not support it.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 4:20 PM

If choosing a USB-C hub, you would be best advised to choose a hub with specifications that explicitly state compatibility with iPad.

Some USB-C hubs not all well suited for iPad. Some may only partially work, some may not work at all. Hubs that state suitability for iPad are more likely to offer trouble-free operation.

Whichever hub you choose, ensure that at least one port supports USB PD (Power Delivery) pass-through - as this port is used to provide power for both the hub and charging of the connected iPad. Hubs can incorporate a combination of additional USB-C ports, USB 2.0/3.1 Type-A ports, Ethernet LAN, HDMI, VGA, SD and microSD card-readers.

Perhaps consider Kingston, Anker, Hyperdrive and Satechi - although there are many others from which to choose. A Google Search for USB-C Hubs compatible with iPad will find a number of articles and recommendations. 

Speaking of personal experience, the Kingston Nucleum has proven itself to be particularly flexible - featuring twin USB3.1 Type-A, downstream USB-C and SD/microSD card slots, HDMI, plus a power pass-through USB-C PD port that can accept +45W from a suitable USB power source.

If looking for an HDMI Adapter, be aware that very few USB-C HDMI adapters/hubs support HDCP - absence of which will inhibit the ability to output copy-protected HD media content from iPad to a connected monitor/TV over an HDMI connection. 

The Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter does support HDCP 2.0, but lacks some of the additional the flexibility afforded by some third-party USB-C hubs:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MUF82ZM/A

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2022 4:20 PM in response to MAShaltoni

If choosing a USB-C hub, you would be best advised to choose a hub with specifications that explicitly state compatibility with iPad.

Some USB-C hubs not all well suited for iPad. Some may only partially work, some may not work at all. Hubs that state suitability for iPad are more likely to offer trouble-free operation.

Whichever hub you choose, ensure that at least one port supports USB PD (Power Delivery) pass-through - as this port is used to provide power for both the hub and charging of the connected iPad. Hubs can incorporate a combination of additional USB-C ports, USB 2.0/3.1 Type-A ports, Ethernet LAN, HDMI, VGA, SD and microSD card-readers.

Perhaps consider Kingston, Anker, Hyperdrive and Satechi - although there are many others from which to choose. A Google Search for USB-C Hubs compatible with iPad will find a number of articles and recommendations. 

Speaking of personal experience, the Kingston Nucleum has proven itself to be particularly flexible - featuring twin USB3.1 Type-A, downstream USB-C and SD/microSD card slots, HDMI, plus a power pass-through USB-C PD port that can accept +45W from a suitable USB power source.

If looking for an HDMI Adapter, be aware that very few USB-C HDMI adapters/hubs support HDCP - absence of which will inhibit the ability to output copy-protected HD media content from iPad to a connected monitor/TV over an HDMI connection. 

The Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter does support HDCP 2.0, but lacks some of the additional the flexibility afforded by some third-party USB-C hubs:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MUF82ZM/A

iPad Pro external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.