Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apparent incompatibility of WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Portable Disc Drive

How can I resolve this issue. It's the second drive that was supposed to be mac compatible that my iMac will not recognize.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2022 10:16 AM

I have a couple of thoughts to share with you which may be helpful. First, try reformatting the WD disk using Apple's Disk utility app. Format it the same as your HD. Second, I would not use the disk utility app that came with the WD disk. I have found them to be very problematic. Did you use it to format the disk? If so, that may be the problem.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2022 10:16 AM in response to F35CLiGhTnInGVvL

I have a couple of thoughts to share with you which may be helpful. First, try reformatting the WD disk using Apple's Disk utility app. Format it the same as your HD. Second, I would not use the disk utility app that came with the WD disk. I have found them to be very problematic. Did you use it to format the disk? If so, that may be the problem.

Oct 30, 2022 3:34 PM in response to Ronasara

I now have two portable hard drives that have incompatible software that OS 10.15.7 Catalina will not even recognize (their icons don't even show up on my computer's desktop. One of the drives is a WD My Passport Ultra for Mac and the other is a Seagate Portable Drive. Both are 2 TB capacity. Both are supposedly for the Mac and I got the same message/prompt on both drives when I attempted to use them ("the software needs to be updated in order to use these drives.) When I attempted to contact the vender I got ...Crickets. What can I do to resolve this apparent impasse. Does WD and Seagate even have a fix for this issue? Does Apple have a fix? I need to know so that I can provide the images to my clients (images that are too large to transmit over the internet. I can't keep purchasing portable drives with hopes that eventually I'll find one that is really compatible. I am extremely frustrated because I've never had this issue in the past.

Oct 30, 2022 3:47 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I do agree that reformatting the Drives might be the answer. I the problem is that neither of the drives show up on my desktop when I connect them. The drives light up and are pulsing, but are not showing up visibly on the desktop. On of the drives is giving a very annoying beeping sound. One that I have never heard with previous portable drives that I successfully used.

Apparent incompatibility of WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Portable Disc Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.