Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues Installing MacOS X Server administrative tools

I'm trying to install Admin tools verson 10.4 on my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

When I try to install the .mpkg file, it tells me that I don't have permission to install Admin tools on my mac... I have never had this problem in the past installing software, why is this one telling me this now?

Thanks,
Charles

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 2.4 Ghz Core2 duo, 4 gigs RAM

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 5:18 PM

Hi

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1822

To administer a Mac OS X v10.4 Server-based server, you need either the Mac OS X v10.4 admin tools or the Mac OS X v10.5 admin tools (except DNS). The Mac OS X v10.4 admin tools only run on 10.4 systems. They do not run on previous or later versions of Mac OS X.

If you need to administer a 10.4 Server from your MacBook enable Remote Sharing on the 10.4 Server and use the built in vnc (Screen Sharing) from your MacBook. Run the admin applications that way.

Tony
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2010 5:18 PM in response to Chuck Smith 2

Hi

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1822

To administer a Mac OS X v10.4 Server-based server, you need either the Mac OS X v10.4 admin tools or the Mac OS X v10.5 admin tools (except DNS). The Mac OS X v10.4 admin tools only run on 10.4 systems. They do not run on previous or later versions of Mac OS X.

If you need to administer a 10.4 Server from your MacBook enable Remote Sharing on the 10.4 Server and use the built in vnc (Screen Sharing) from your MacBook. Run the admin applications that way.

Tony

Aug 13, 2010 5:30 PM in response to Chuck Smith 2

Charles

You can't use 10.6 admin tools to administer a 10.4 Server. You can use 10.5 admin tools (excluding DNS) to administer a 10.4 Server. You can't install 10.5 admin tools on a 10.6 client or 10.4 client.

2nd Paragraph down:

If you have the Server Admin Tools 10.5 installed on Mac OS X v10.5 and upgrade or migrate to Mac OS X v10.6, the 10.5 Tools will be removed because they are not compatible with Mac OS X v10.6.

AFAIK the only way to administer older server versions from 10.6 is either using ARD or the built-in VNC as already mentioned. Trying to install and/or use the older admin tools remotely is not going to happen.

Tony

Aug 13, 2010 6:43 PM in response to Chuck Smith 2

Chuck:

As Tony said, screen sharing is your best bet. Server admin tools, for whatever reason, work best, or at all, only if they are installed on a client running the same client version of the OS as the server. you can run 10.5 tools to admin a 10.4 server, but personally, I wouldn't. If you are running 10.5 or later on a client Mac, you can use screen sharing to connect to other Macs. If you're not familiar, on the server, enable remote management. On a client running 10.5 or later, open a window (for instance, your HD). On the left side of the window that opens you should see a short list of computers on your network. Click on see all if your server is not listed. Then select the server you want to manage, and click the screen sharing button. Enter a username and password on the server, and you're connected. You can then run the admin tools as if you were sitting at the server.

hth

Jeff

Issues Installing MacOS X Server administrative tools

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.