Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it economically worthwhile to replace the battery in a 2017 vintage MacBook Pro or just replace the laptop with a new one.

Is it economically worthwhile to replace the battery in a 2017 vintage MacBook Pro or just replace the laptop with a new one.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 30, 2022 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2022 6:54 PM

A 2017 MBPro is not "Vintage". Only the 2016 model is now Vintage.

Vintage List

FYI, when Apple replaces the battery you are also getting a whole new Top Case Assembly which includes the palmrest, Keyboard, Trackpad, Battery (Touchbar & Speakers as well for the Touchbar model).

Only you can decide if the cost is worthwhile.

5 replies

Oct 31, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Bob@4765

Double check with Apple or an Apple Authorized support Store on the cost, guessing between $400 to $600. I had the battery replaced on my Late 2013 MacBook Pro in October 2020, the cost then was $350, and it is still an excellent backup machine that I use in my Home Office hooked up to a 32" Monitor with a wireless Keyboard and Track Pad.

If the rest of the machine is in Solid Shape, I would strongly consider getting it done. The bonus is the new top half of the machine (new keyboard, trackpad, and top half of case.

DO NOT even think about doing this repair on your own, and make sure if you move forward, you only Allow Apple or an Apple Authorized Dealer to do the repair; also make sure to do several backups before taking it in, just in case.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.