Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro start without battery / degraded battery

Hi Team ,

I own MacBook 15 inch Late 2016 . Model no A1707 . Battery is almost dead or degraded , now the laptop is not turning on . Please let me know , if battery is degraded or dead but power source is on , it should turn on or not ?

Thanks,

Ashu

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 5:36 PM

If an Apple laptop battery is completely discharged, then it may prevent the laptop from powering on or even charging. Sometimes even a bad battery can cause this problem too. Even if the battery is sufficiently charged & healthy, these USB-C Apple laptops are a bit quirky in their behavior when powering on. Sometimes I have found that even if the battery is sufficiently charged, that the laptop will show the red battery icon to indicate connecting the charger. Other times I must disconnect the charger and reconnect the charger for these laptops to power on, sometimes needing to wait 15 minutes for it to happen (usually the latter occurs after an SMC Reset and PRAM Reset performed back to back).

Try an SMC Reset.

Try connecting the charger to another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop in case the USB-C port or even the I/O Board on that side of the laptop is bad (or partially bad).

Also try unplugging the charger for a minute or two to reset the charger's internal circuitry.

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook - Apple Support

If none of this helps, then you will need to have the battery replaced by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2022 5:36 PM in response to Ashutosh1116

If an Apple laptop battery is completely discharged, then it may prevent the laptop from powering on or even charging. Sometimes even a bad battery can cause this problem too. Even if the battery is sufficiently charged & healthy, these USB-C Apple laptops are a bit quirky in their behavior when powering on. Sometimes I have found that even if the battery is sufficiently charged, that the laptop will show the red battery icon to indicate connecting the charger. Other times I must disconnect the charger and reconnect the charger for these laptops to power on, sometimes needing to wait 15 minutes for it to happen (usually the latter occurs after an SMC Reset and PRAM Reset performed back to back).

Try an SMC Reset.

Try connecting the charger to another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop in case the USB-C port or even the I/O Board on that side of the laptop is bad (or partially bad).

Also try unplugging the charger for a minute or two to reset the charger's internal circuitry.

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook - Apple Support

If none of this helps, then you will need to have the battery replaced by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Macbook pro start without battery / degraded battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.