Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lock spreadsheet

I used to be able to lock my spreadsheet in Numbers to prevent it from being edited, but the latest update I do not see the lock feature.

Has it been removed?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 8:42 AM

This confused me, too. It seems to be hidden in the three-dot menu and is called "Reading View". If you open that menu (upper right) and client Reading View, the Edit you/we used to see shows in the top right.

But, be careful: even with the Edit showing, a double-click on a cell can allow changes. It's a weird situation IMO, but this is the best I can find to replicate what you/we used to use. Hope this helps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2022 8:42 AM in response to tinman63

This confused me, too. It seems to be hidden in the three-dot menu and is called "Reading View". If you open that menu (upper right) and client Reading View, the Edit you/we used to see shows in the top right.

But, be careful: even with the Edit showing, a double-click on a cell can allow changes. It's a weird situation IMO, but this is the best I can find to replicate what you/we used to use. Hope this helps.

Oct 31, 2022 3:08 PM in response to tinman63

If you're trying to protect a whole document (a spreadsheet in Numbers lingo), then you have File > Set Password... .

If you're trying to lock a table to prevent inadvertent changes, then you can click the table and go to Arrange > Lock.

Of course any user can click that table and go to Arrange > Unlock. So it doesn't provide complete protection.

SG

Lock spreadsheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.