Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set High Sierra clock manually from an NTP server?

I'm running High Sierra because High Sierra is as recent as this old iMac will ever be. El Capitan kept time just fine. Since High Sierra the clock is consistently 2 minutes slow. I've got a phone and a table keeping identical time that are 2 minutes faster than the iMac. I see that this is a known problem. Changing System Preferences automatic timekeeping doesn't reset the clock. I specify NTP time servers but they don't set the clock. Is there a separate app that acts as a timekeeping daemon? Can I just run something from a terminal command line every so often that will set the clock? There are many answers to this out there but not one I've seen that I can do without installing C and compiling an app. That's not going to happen. Thank you, signed Mike "wondering why every OS upgrade introduces more bugs than it fixes and we're all supposed to clap louder."

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 3:04 PM

In terminal what does this report for how far out of time it is?

sudo sntp -sS pool.ntp.org

How to Set System Time on Mac OS from Command Line Guide - Bollyinside

There is also Open NTPD & ChronyControl...

OpenNTPD

chronyd on MacOS X (whatroute.net)

4 replies

How to set High Sierra clock manually from an NTP server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.