Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backing up external drive with time machine, cannot select external drive

I had to move my music app library to external drive connected to my Mac Mini because I have the small HD in the mini (251 GB). Despite some bumps along the way, it's done. However, I can't back up that library with Time Machine. The drive appears in the window in Time Machines options, but is grayed out, just like the external drive for the backups.

Years ago, I had backed up a firewire external drive via Time Machine on my old iMac (iTunes library). I've seen various videos and articles describing the process of including an external in Time Machine backups. Nothing I've experienced or seen mentions the problem I'm having, the inability to select the drive at all in Time Machine System preferences. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have a lot of old CDs that I imported into my old iTunes library. If the external drive would fail, I'd lose that. And I don't want to buy a third hard drive to just back up the music library. Running LaCie drives for both music and Time Machine

thanks in advance

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 2:32 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 1, 2022 12:46 PM in response to Old Toad

Right. I'm only reluctant to do so, because I had a rough time moving the library to the external drive in the first place. I'm not sure why. My wife's library moved over easily and worked from the moment I tried it. Mine, however, didn't. Not sure why. I was surprised that the library inherited all the old custom permissions from 2011-12 from when it was on my iMac. No matter, the music files are safely stored in cloud storage if I need them. Some time in the dark of winter, when life is dull, I'll try reformatting the drive and recreating the library. :-)

backing up external drive with time machine, cannot select external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.