Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Ventura no detecting 4k display

Since the installation of OC Ventura the attached 4k display resolutions detected by my MacBook Air M2 are are all low resolution even though the display description says it is a 4k display. Prior to OS ventura the screen resolution was double what can be used now, and of course is blurry.

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 11:55 AM

OK I have the solution after a while on chat with support. My solution was performed on MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max:

1.) From Finder: Go > Computer > Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences

2.) Locate and trash this file: com.apple.windowserver.displays.plist

3.) Empty Trash

4.) Restart Macbook normally and reconnect external monitor.

Your display settings should now have updated options including underscan.

Hope this saves someone else from having to troubleshoot. Cheers

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2022 11:55 AM in response to BruceWF

OK I have the solution after a while on chat with support. My solution was performed on MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max:

1.) From Finder: Go > Computer > Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences

2.) Locate and trash this file: com.apple.windowserver.displays.plist

3.) Empty Trash

4.) Restart Macbook normally and reconnect external monitor.

Your display settings should now have updated options including underscan.

Hope this saves someone else from having to troubleshoot. Cheers

Nov 8, 2022 2:00 PM in response to gotbassmusic

Thanks for that suggestion. On other links the impact of WindowServer was highlighted, and I simple stopped the WindowServer process. This then rebooted the MacB Air M2 and the screen resolution was recovered. Looks as if the OS Ventura update failed to blank the plist and the two methods to clear it seem to solve the issue.

OS Ventura no detecting 4k display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.