Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail - Multi Factor Authentication with Microsoft Exchange

Apparently from late October (2022) Microsoft Exchange requires mandatory MFA.

This now prevents my Mac Mail from using the company Exchange server for email and calendar services.

Is Apple going to rectify this - or do we all have to move to alternative, non Apple applications ?

Massive job to move my Mail elsewhere.........is everyone using Microsoft Exchange having to do this ?

(interesting that there is no reference to Mac Mail when trying to select a Topic for this query - where is Apple trying to move us to for email / calendar ?)

Reposting this to another area - is this a limitation of my version of MacOS (10.13) ?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 5:18 PM

Hello ,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

We were able to find this:

Modern Authentication support for Exchange accounts
iOS 11, iPadOS 13.1, and macOS 10.14 or later support Microsoft Modern Authentication workflows of Exchange online tenants. OAuth can be used for Office 365 accounts with Modern Authentication enabled. In iOS 12 and macOS 10.14 or later, configuration can also be performed manually or with a configuration profile.
In iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 or later, Exchange accounts configured for Microsoft cloud-based services (such as Office365 or outlook.com) are automatically upgraded to use Microsoft’s OAuth 2.0 authentication service.
For more information, see the two Microsoft Support articles Using Office 365 modern authentication with Office clients and Enable or disable modern authentication in Exchange Online.

More details can be found here: Integrate Apple devices with Microsoft Exchange

You may need to upgrade your Mac: How to download macOS

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2022 5:18 PM in response to Robin Curtis

Hello ,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

We were able to find this:

Modern Authentication support for Exchange accounts
iOS 11, iPadOS 13.1, and macOS 10.14 or later support Microsoft Modern Authentication workflows of Exchange online tenants. OAuth can be used for Office 365 accounts with Modern Authentication enabled. In iOS 12 and macOS 10.14 or later, configuration can also be performed manually or with a configuration profile.
In iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 or later, Exchange accounts configured for Microsoft cloud-based services (such as Office365 or outlook.com) are automatically upgraded to use Microsoft’s OAuth 2.0 authentication service.
For more information, see the two Microsoft Support articles Using Office 365 modern authentication with Office clients and Enable or disable modern authentication in Exchange Online.

More details can be found here: Integrate Apple devices with Microsoft Exchange

You may need to upgrade your Mac: How to download macOS

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers!

Nov 18, 2022 8:24 AM in response to Omar_A1

ok - thanks. I upgraded to Catalina.

Then I discovered that you need to delete the existing Microsoft Exchange email Account, and then re-create it. (In Mail Accounts / Preferences). iCal and Mac Mail now synchronising with Exchange sever. Taking a while for Mail synchrnoisation to complete (ie days..... ) !! But it works.

The pointer came from here:

https://harvard.service-now.com/ithelp?id=kb_article&sys_id=435bb7291b2dfb8cefd8a79b2d4bcb55

Apple Mail - Multi Factor Authentication with Microsoft Exchange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.