Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos do not appear in Desktop & Screen Saver preference pane

My System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver has a menu item called "Photos" which has submenus of "Favorites," "People," "Shared," and "Albums"; but all of these have no content on the right side when I click on them. See attached screenshots.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 10:00 AM

SOLVED IT.

In Find Any File app, I searched for files named "desktoppicture"; and one of the files was DesktopPictures.prefpane, contained in the following folder:

"/System/Library/PreferencePanes/DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane/Contents/Resources/DesktopPictures.prefPane"

I double-clicked on it, and the System Preferences opened with a window saying that I had to install this before using it ("Do you want to install this for all users?").

I clicked OK, and now the Photos.app albums contents are listed.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2022 10:00 AM in response to SkippyTheWonderLizard

SOLVED IT.

In Find Any File app, I searched for files named "desktoppicture"; and one of the files was DesktopPictures.prefpane, contained in the following folder:

"/System/Library/PreferencePanes/DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane/Contents/Resources/DesktopPictures.prefPane"

I double-clicked on it, and the System Preferences opened with a window saying that I had to install this before using it ("Do you want to install this for all users?").

I clicked OK, and now the Photos.app albums contents are listed.

Nov 2, 2022 10:14 AM in response to SkippyTheWonderLizard

I tried using EasyFind to search for the string "Photos Library" on my MBP, and most of the results were localizable language files, but I found two that mentioned "errors" with the library:

In the file "/private/var/log/install.log", there is this:

2022-10-31 17:47:22-05 MacBook-Pro-2019 mbfloagent[795]: Photos: found System Photo Library: /Users/[my name]/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary
2022-10-31 17:47:22-05 MacBook-Pro-2019 mbfloagent[795]: Photos: findURLToUpgrade /Users/[my name]/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary, error: (null), upgradeType: 2
2022-10-31 17:47:22-05 MacBook-Pro-2019 mbfloagent[795]: Photos: findURLToUpgrade /Users/[my name]/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary, error: (null), upgradeType: 2
2022-10-31 17:55:56-05 MacBook-Pro-2019 mbfloagent[795]: Photos: findURLToUpgrade /Users/[my name]/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary, error: (null), upgradeType: 2

In the file "/Library/Application Support/com.bombich.ccc/fcy_debug.5191F29F-B880-4465-9319-330D1709F45D.log," there is this, relating to a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of my photos library:

CCE_SIGL| 03/03 15:56:11 Physical size mismatch: /Volumes/Bootable Backup CCC/Users/photoshare/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/thumbs/4132.ithmb_WTYk: source: 6152, dest: 5944. Unpunched holes: 0

I have no idea whether this is relevant.

Nov 3, 2022 2:49 PM in response to BDAqua

All right, these are the files found that have the word "photo" in their names:

com.apple.cloudphotod.plist

com.apple.photolibraryd.plist

Photos.sqlite

Photos.sqlite

com.apple.Photos.plist

Photos.sqlite.aside

Update_Images_from_Photos_Library.scpt

com.apple.Photos.CPLDiagnose

com.apple.Photos.Migration

photolibraryd

com.apple.Photos.librarychooserservice

com.apple.photoanalysisd.plist

com.systweak.Duplicate-Photos-Fixer-Pro.plist

keyedobjects-101300.nib

keyedobjects.nib

keyedobjects-101300.nib

keyedobjects.nib

Find Larger and Smaller by Selected Size.zip

com.apple.PhotoLibraryMigrationUtility.plist

And these have the word "desktop":

desktoppicture.db

DesktopPictures

Photos do not appear in Desktop & Screen Saver preference pane

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.