Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV "User" access

When I want to add a "User" to my Apple TV (in the Settings..., Users and Accounts..., Suggested Users...) the "Confirm <user> on this Apple TV" screen comes up and below that it says "This user's media, app data in iCloud, and Game Center accounts will be visible to other user's on this Apple TV."

I'm not sure exactly what that entails, and I don't know why their media and app data should be visible to other users. Does anyone have insight as to how much data is exposed?

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 7:30 AM

User switching may allow people that are not Michelle, to use the Michelle account (except for actions that require authentication, like purchases, if set that purchases require authentication). That may affect e.g. watch history (e.g. at which episode M is at a series) and recommendations, and possibly game progress, when other Apple TV users do not have the discipline to select their self first.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2022 7:30 AM in response to drmemory

User switching may allow people that are not Michelle, to use the Michelle account (except for actions that require authentication, like purchases, if set that purchases require authentication). That may affect e.g. watch history (e.g. at which episode M is at a series) and recommendations, and possibly game progress, when other Apple TV users do not have the discipline to select their self first.

Nov 2, 2022 9:49 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you for the reply Urquhart. What you describe is for the profiles that one can switch (via the "TV" button on the remote. What confuses me is that "Michelle" is already set up as one of the Profiles. I was under the impression that this "User" function in the System Setting "Users and Accounts" tab was something different. But if it is the same thing, I wonder why it would be asking to add as a "Potential User". Possibly it already exists because "Michelle" is a member of our Family Sharing. Thanks again.

Apple TV "User" access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.