Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot password

Is there a way I can reset my password without being able to login

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 7:12 PM

Hi, Seniorhelpneeded.... Sure, there is--we've all been there and done that....

I presume you're talking about your user name and password when you first start up your MacBook....

I'd type in all out...but it's a bit long....it's not complicated, but it's long....

anyways, see this link, and do what it suggests that you do: this is for Mac OS Mojave or earlier....

Change or reset the password of a macOS user account in macOS Mojave or earlier - Apple Support (CA)

it does mention Mac OS X Utilities or Tools.... If it doesn't appear after you've done the Apple+R keyboard combo on start up, and it might not do so automatically, after you've done the Apple+R keyboard combo, and picked a language, and continued, move your cursor (the arrow) to the top center of your screen and click, Mac OS X Utilities/Tools should show up, then do the rest of it, and you should be good to go

hope this helps, and it wasn't too confusing for you

John B

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2022 7:12 PM in response to Seniorhelpneeded

Hi, Seniorhelpneeded.... Sure, there is--we've all been there and done that....

I presume you're talking about your user name and password when you first start up your MacBook....

I'd type in all out...but it's a bit long....it's not complicated, but it's long....

anyways, see this link, and do what it suggests that you do: this is for Mac OS Mojave or earlier....

Change or reset the password of a macOS user account in macOS Mojave or earlier - Apple Support (CA)

it does mention Mac OS X Utilities or Tools.... If it doesn't appear after you've done the Apple+R keyboard combo on start up, and it might not do so automatically, after you've done the Apple+R keyboard combo, and picked a language, and continued, move your cursor (the arrow) to the top center of your screen and click, Mac OS X Utilities/Tools should show up, then do the rest of it, and you should be good to go

hope this helps, and it wasn't too confusing for you

John B

Forgot password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.