Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BrotherScanner issue with Ventura

MacBook air auto-updated to Ventura. Now have issue with Brother MFC-J875DW scanner. When scanner opened nothing shows. Tried updating firmware on Brother, downloading latest drivers and even iprintandscan. No help. Tried resetting wireless link again no help but the printer does print. Called Brother they advised they have no software for Apple Ventura OS for any of their printer scanneers, and have no intention of creating any. I don't use time machine as nowhere to backup to. I backup my personal files monthly to thumb drive. Have some software on my computer that I paid for once and can use forever so cannot do a clean install that erases everything. Am I screwed?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 6:34 PM

Apple is not here on these forums. We are just other users such as yourself volunteering our time & experience to assist people.

Are you just having problems with the scanner portion of this device, or are you also having problems printing as well?

According to this Apple Air Print article, this printer should be able to use the "Air Print" driver.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Just delete the printer and re-add it making sure to select "Air Print" for the driver instead of the normal Brother driver or CUPS driver. I know with my new M1 laptop with Big Sur that when I added my Brother printer it did not default to selecting Air Print.

If you are only having problems with the scanning portion, then try using the macOS built-in app ImageCapture to see if it will work with the scanner on the Brother multi-function device.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2022 6:34 PM in response to Howard Kalachman

Apple is not here on these forums. We are just other users such as yourself volunteering our time & experience to assist people.

Are you just having problems with the scanner portion of this device, or are you also having problems printing as well?

According to this Apple Air Print article, this printer should be able to use the "Air Print" driver.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Just delete the printer and re-add it making sure to select "Air Print" for the driver instead of the normal Brother driver or CUPS driver. I know with my new M1 laptop with Big Sur that when I added my Brother printer it did not default to selecting Air Print.

If you are only having problems with the scanning portion, then try using the macOS built-in app ImageCapture to see if it will work with the scanner on the Brother multi-function device.

Nov 9, 2022 10:21 AM in response to Howard Kalachman

If Image Capture doesn't allow you to use the scanner, then you can check out the VueScan software.

Edit: I guess you could also try using the Brother drivers for Catalina. I know people used them with Big Sur, but I did not see any mention if they would work with Monterey or Ventura. I believe those who used the Catalina drivers with Big Sur had to delete the printer & re-add the printer to make it work. Brother has a separate download for the scanner driver.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj875dw_us&_gl=1*1bgymjw*_ga*OTk0NTY1Njg1LjE2NjgwMTgwNTg.*_ga_NCEW43SJ8W*MTY2ODAxODA1Ny4xLjAuMTY2ODAxODA1OS41OC4wLjA.&_ga=2.29699711.1744801176.1668018058-994565685.1668018058

BrotherScanner issue with Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.