Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

a good way to reduce money on computer repairs

My computer had make-up oil in the screen and keyboard, which led to a repair bill of around £1,046, which I thought was expensive. Is there any way I can mitigate the cost? The computer was purchased in August. Maybe I can buy apple care and then pay some maintenance costs.

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 10:30 AM

"Is there any way I can mitigate the cost?"

1 • In future don't do your make up whilst using your MacBook. Don't eat or drink whilst using it either as you'll be potentially looking at an equally expensive repair if you spill liquid on it.

2 • Too late now (possibly?) but you could have claimed for the repair costs via your home insurance policy. Most - if not all - standard home insurance content policies will cover individual items up to a certain value. In the UK the standard amount is £1500. It must be something similar in your part of the world? Don't forget the excess amount which you'll have to fund yourself. In almost all cases this will be considerably less than the full cost of repair.

3 • There are many insurance companies who will insure any 'smart' devices you have - iPone, iPad etc - probably laptops too. Google these for your area and get an online quote for your future needs.

4 • I think you have 60 days from date of purchase to buy Apple Care +? If you're beyond that then go back to the store you originally purchased it from and ask them if they can accommodate you in some way?

Good luck!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2022 10:30 AM in response to Lottiiiie

"Is there any way I can mitigate the cost?"

1 • In future don't do your make up whilst using your MacBook. Don't eat or drink whilst using it either as you'll be potentially looking at an equally expensive repair if you spill liquid on it.

2 • Too late now (possibly?) but you could have claimed for the repair costs via your home insurance policy. Most - if not all - standard home insurance content policies will cover individual items up to a certain value. In the UK the standard amount is £1500. It must be something similar in your part of the world? Don't forget the excess amount which you'll have to fund yourself. In almost all cases this will be considerably less than the full cost of repair.

3 • There are many insurance companies who will insure any 'smart' devices you have - iPone, iPad etc - probably laptops too. Google these for your area and get an online quote for your future needs.

4 • I think you have 60 days from date of purchase to buy Apple Care +? If you're beyond that then go back to the store you originally purchased it from and ask them if they can accommodate you in some way?

Good luck!

a good way to reduce money on computer repairs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.