Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Data

Hi All,

I am at a complete loss. I have a Mac Mini and currently is using around 350GB used of storage data, and is significantly slowing my computer down. Its particularly odd as I use external hard drives for 99% of my storage, bar a few photos and small PSD files, which I store on the mac itself.

I empty the bin regularly and clean up any large files I don't need. I've cleaned the cashe out, and am still confused as to how to sort this problem out.

I've only had this mac mini for around 3 months, its a work computer. I'm a Graphic Designer, so i use all the Adobe suite, if this helps in any way?

Heres a screen shot of the storage to give you an idea.

Its doing my head in that I can't seem to see what these files are and how to reduce/clean them.

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 5:08 AM

Lottie_1459 wrote:

Yeah that doesn't answer my question..

Try something like OmniDiskSweeper for a GUI to get a good look at itemized file size and location:

OmniDiskSweeper http://www.omnigroup.com/more

6 replies

Nov 3, 2022 5:02 AM in response to Lottie_1459

Lottie_1459 wrote:

Hi All,

I am at a complete loss. I have a Mac Mini and currently is using around 350GB used of storage data, and is significantly slowing my computer down. Its particularly odd as I use external hard drives for 99% of my storage, bar a few photos and small PSD files. which I store on the mac itself.

I empty the bin regularly and clean up any large files I don't need. I've cleaned the cashe out, and am still confused as to how to sort this problem out.

I've only had this mac mini for around 3 months, its a work computer. I'm a Graphic Designer, so i use all the Adobe suite, if this helps in any way?

Heres a screen shot of the storage to give you an idea.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/f99c13f8-5c9f-4d8a-9773-d78178fe0840

Its doing my head in that I can't seem to see what these files are and how to reduce/clean them.

What Apple used to label "Other" is now labeled "System Data".

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 3, 2022 5:07 AM in response to Lottie_1459

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

Or Force a Reindex via Terminal Command “ sudo tmutil -E / “ without Quotation Marks 

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Notation - If the user is using a cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner - suggest tweaking the Safety Net Feature in this software. It may be making additional Snap Shots that are not being Cloned to the Eternal Drive. If this should be the case, these Snap Shot could be using additional space on the drive 

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other/ System Data “ Category

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

System Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.