You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set my iPad to prevent charging to 100% like above say 85%

This should save battery on the long run?

iPad Pro, 11-inch, 4th Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 6:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 8:11 AM

Other than monitoring your state of charge - and manually disconnecting your Power Adapter - the maximum charge level is not configurable.

Perhaps consider that your iPad already automatically and optimally manages its charging strategy.

4 replies

Nov 3, 2022 8:50 AM in response to PPA_38

Comparison to other manufacturers devices is somewhat irrelevant to you - as it doesn’t alter the design or capabilities of your iPad.

Mobile phones, regardless of manufacturer, have much smaller batteries than iPad. While battery chemistry may be similar, charging strategies for large batteries will likely differ.

Subject to thermal management, your iPad will rapidly charge to ~80% of its maximum capacity if connected to a sufficiently powerful Power Adapter - at which threshold charging automatically reduces to a much lower charging rate. Charing will cease altogether when optimal charge has been reached.

For iPads connected to external power for extended periods, such as when being used in Point of Sale or Kiosk applications, battery management will automatically reduce the maximum charge to 80% of maximum capacity. Nominal charging is restored when a normal charge/discharge pattern is reestablished.

There are no manual configuration settings for iPad charging.

Can I set my iPad to prevent charging to 100% like above say 85%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.